LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seemingly random node placement on block diagram

Solved!
Go to solution

When I create an indicator on the front panel, the block diagram node shows up in a seemingly random place. Sometimes it gets hidden. The opposite happens when I create a node on the block diagram. The front panel object placement seems random. 

Is there a way to get a container where all things will appear in this box? Can I anticipate where something might show up? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,517 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carmen92126

@Carmen92126 wrote:

Is there a way to get a container where all things will appear in this box? Can I anticipate where something might show up? 

No and No. However if you double-click the new indicator, the terminal will be highlighted. (and vice versa)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,510 Views)

There is an algorithm behind the madness of where something shows up on the other diagram when you place it on one. (BD>>FP,  FP >>BD).  I think it is related to relative positions of something else.   But there really is no way to know exactly where to go looking for it, especially as your VI's grow and you start moving things around.

Try to keep your block diagram and front panel within the space of 1 screen.  Try to keep them both near the origin.  (Though finding the origin on the block diagram isn't that easy.)

And when you can't find something, then right click on the object on the front panel and pick Find Terminal.  Or on the Block Diagram and pick Find Indicator (or control).  IF things get too big, use the Naviagation windows to know where you are relative to the rest of your code and drag it back into position.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,509 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carmen92126
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,505 Views)

Also, note that altenbach idea points to a blog post discussing an existing product similar to LV which does have the unused items tray. That didn't make it into LV so far, but it does show NI is aware of the idea and the issue, so it's certainly possible that something will be done about it at some point.

(2,500 Views)

RavensFan wrote:(Though finding the origin on the block diagram isn't that easy.)

Sure it is...Reset Origin

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,477 Views)