LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

search function palette behavior

I am currently teaching a LabVIEW class and a student brought this to my attention. I did not have a good answer for his question so I thought I would bring it to the community here.

Scenario:

When using the LabVIEW search feature under the Function or Control Palette I typically have to explain why items show up multiple times in the search results. For example, search for "DAQ Assistant" and up to 5 result are displayed pointing to the different palettes that the DAQ Assistant resides on (e.g. Express, Daqmx, Input/Output, etc.).

Problem:

However, when a student was attempting to locate the Config File VIs (most commonly used from "Programming>>File I/O>>Configuration File VIs") the results only showed one instance of "Open Config" VI and it was unfortunately located in "Sound and Vibration>>File I/O>>UF 58 ASCII>>Advanced>>File I/O>>Configuration File I/O". He was disappointed as he thought that he would have to purchase the Sound and Vibration toolkit just to use config file (*.ini) VIs. I've noticed several other computers do this as well.

Can anyone explain the logic behind why LabVIEW 2014 is doing this?

Thanks,

Craig

02 pic.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,069 Views)

I would expect that's a bug.  It should show up in every location every time or only one location every time.  When you said several computers, were those several the only ones you tested or did some show it as expected?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,897 Views)

Interesting.  I wonder what the search bar at the top right of every VI says?  (I'm "wondering" and not "trying" because I don't have access to LabVIEW right now.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,854 Views)

I don't have the sound and vibration, but I get 2 results, both in the OpenG palettes.  I say this is a bug.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,676 Views)

Seem like if I do not have OpenG or Sound/Vibration libraries installed the search function works as expected. I tested this on computers imaged by CustEd and my own personal laptop but that's basically it. Hmm, I wonder if this has something to do with the .mnu file and how this is indexed. Regardless, thanks for sharing your perspective on this. This behavior is not a HUGE deal but I'm sure you all can appreciate my desire to explain some of LabVIEWs design and sometimes odd behavior to those who are being introduced to the environment. Thank you!

Craig Eidson

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,592 Views)