LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scrolling using mouse in the project explorer window is slow

Dear NI devs,

scrolling using the mouse in the project explorer window has really small steps (1.sth of the line = one file per tick or scrolling). Could you please increase the steps size or add an option to set the scrolling speed, please?

Cheers,

M

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,173 Views)

I hate to ask the obvious, but it sounds like an unusual problem.

Assuming you are on a Windows system, have you tried adjusting the mouse scroll settings in the control panel? Does scrolling behave properly in other applications, and other LabVIEW screens? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,159 Views)

Dear garrettmarsh,

thank you for your response. Yes, please, your assuption is correct: LV 2013 13.02f on Win 7 64bit. (I had to mention it right away.)

The scrolling in other (non-NI) application is OK with me. The scrolling in other LV windows but the Project Explorer is about 1cm per scroll tick (it is OK, though, it could be larger). The scrolling in the Project Explorer window is way below half a cm: it is about one line, each line is a single listed subVI.

I can change the settings of my mouse (in Windows settings). So, I doubled the number: previously, scroll 6 lines; now, scroll 12 lines. This change is accepted by Thunderbird, Firefox and Foxit PDF Reader without restarting them, immediatelly. But it is ignored by LV, even after restarting LV. The scrolling step remains the same as before, i.e. OK in VI windows, smaller in the Project Explorer window. No visible change there 😞

Cheers,

Message 3 of 9
(4,147 Views)

Hi ghighupu,

I tested the scrolling behaviour of the LabVIEW project explorer with many subVIs in it and I see what you mean.

Each move of the mouse wheel equates one line in the project explorer, hence one subVI.

Changing the Windows mouse scrolling settings has no effect on this behaviour, as you mentioned.

In my opinion it would be reasonable to combine the scrolling behaviour of LabVIEW with the windows settings like you requested.

But there is another forum for requests / changing proposals / ideas on future LabVIEW releases:

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/labviewideas

This is the place to give ideas / changing requests to the NI developers, so please post there.

Best Regards,

JoLe

National Instruments

Applications Engineering

www.ni.com/support

Message 4 of 9
(4,117 Views)

Topic morphed into an idea in the Idea Exchange: Enhance scrolling using mouse in the project explorer window (currently slow)

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,089 Views)

Idea Exchange is a good opportunity, but this is a bug!

This is nothing about voting or so, it had to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,991 Views)

Dear sletrab,

yeah, I second your opinion.

My experince says, that whenever a solution of a problem boils down to a bug-fix (not to an enhancement or a new feature), a LabVIEW officer says "post to Idea Exchange, pls, so we'll see the responses of other users". That's how it works now...

Although, sometimes it is very easy to judge about a flag of a bug or an enhancement, sometimes the ice is very thin there. And a lot of bug- and feature- suggestions are subjective. There may be an awful bug in some niche of LV, which is never going to be exploited by a normal user. So, it catches less popularity and votes. From the view of a commercial company, it also makes sense to focus the minds of the LV programmers only to issues, which burn the most. Hence, I adhere to careful startegy: building my own opinion, observing and trying out the suggestions myself and selecting votes thoughfully 🙂

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,985 Views)

Sorry to bump an old thread but this bug is still here. Has anyone figured out a workaround yet? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,830 Views)

This is the time to use your left hand

Home End Page up and Page down or just drag the scrollbar.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,813 Views)