LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scripting in LabVIEW

LabVIEW scripting uses LabVIEW to write LabVIEW code.  I don't think it applies to your use, especially if you're going to test production code.  LabVIEW scripting isn't available in the RTE.

I don't have an example of what I suggested to share.  The only thing I've done was make a sequence of states execute; I didn't support the looping or branching that you need.

I started to develop a TestStand solution that fits the bill about six years ago, but left the company before getting very deep.  The idea was to make custom step types with LabVIEW VIs that the non-LabVIEW/TestStand engineer could use in a TestStand sequence.  If they can write Matlab scripts they can probably learn to make a simple TestStand sequence.  Do you use TestStand?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(1,601 Views)

en99 wrote:By the way what is LabVIEW scripting?

LabVIEW scripting is a way to make LabVIEW code inside of LabVIEW.  It is only applicable in the LabVIEW environment and you cannot edit any VI that is running.  Great for creaing plugin to the LabVIEW IDE.  Quick Drop is built from scripting.

As far as your issue, I would go talk to the guys at JKI.  They have a really cool way of integrating LabVIEW functions into Python.  I wish I knew how, but it is a secret they are holding on to.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 12 of 24
(1,598 Views)

Is the LabVIEW scripting like a test based langugue enviornment? Can we have for example while loops or if commands in that? 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 24
(1,591 Views)

@tintin_99 wrote:

Is the LabVIEW scripting like a test based langugue enviornment? Can we have for example while loops or if commands in that? 

No.  Read the comments right above yours.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(1,585 Views)

Check out LuaVIEW.  I use Lua, but not this particular product.

http://luaview.esi-cit.com/

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 24
(1,574 Views)

deleted

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24
(1,562 Views)

What you really seem to be looking for is a "lightweight Test Executive."

These are not trivial to implement but several examples exist (e.g. Shameless Plug.)  Having a custom Test Executive can really be a great assit to a team that is primarilly focused on "Science and Engineering" tasks.  Unfortunately those same teams often lack the Software Engineering skills to build a construct as complex without going down a few false paths first.

This is the primary reason the NI Alliance Partners exist.  An NI Alliance Partner has demonstrated success in delivering complex solutions for their clients in one of several specialities.  Speaking with your local NI Rep would be a good first step in identifying a Partner that may be right for you.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24
(1,556 Views)

Hi Darin,

Can we use while , for and if statements in Lua and is it posible to call a LabVIEW function in Lua and give inputs to this fuction. I have also downlaoded the alstest version but the instruction to install it is very confusing, do you have a clear instruction for that. Or any example on how to use it.

.The other problem is they say it is an Evalution version . Have you faced any problem when you use it?

Yes Jeff, I ahev already contacted NI and waiting for their respone. 

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 24
(1,544 Views)

@ethen99 wrote:

Hi, could you please let me know what is the easiest scripting method that can be used in LabVIEW, we have engineers that know nothing about LabVIEW, they want an scripting language to do simple things like assignments , for loop, while loop and basic math functions such Mean . Is math script ( Matlab) the best choice?

The problem I have with Math Script is , I think it is good for complicated mathematics but it can't be used as a command script for LabVIEW ?

For example if I have this line in that scripting window

vpp= 10

then I would like to pass that value to a VI, if I don't have this line then there is no need to have that VI

Is there any LabVIEW scripting language that can be good for this purpose?

As JCarmody said, this sounds more or less exactly like what TestStand was designed to do.  I'd definitely recommend taking a look at it if your intention is to call LabVIEW code with scripted arguments in a production test environment. Of course, it's an additional buy-in and system to learn and I believe it requires deployment licenses.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24
(1,525 Views)

@ethen99 wrote:

Hi Darin,

Can we use while , for and if statements in Lua and is it posible to call a LabVIEW function in Lua and give inputs to this fuction. I have also downlaoded the alstest version but the instruction to install it is very confusing, do you have a clear instruction for that. Or any example on how to use it.

.The other problem is they say it is an Evalution version . Have you faced any problem when you use it?

Yes Jeff, I ahev already contacted NI and waiting for their respone. 

I use Lua with LabVIEW, but not that product.  Lua let's you script all of those control statements and more, and yes you can call LV functions with it.

It seems that the evaluation mode is what you want, try it before you buy it.   The rough edges (tough install for example) are common unless you spend the $$$$ for TestStand.  You can do a lot with TS, but if you are buying it to write a for loop or two it is overkill.  Send your engineers to LV Core 1 and 2 classes before you do that.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 24
(1,518 Views)