From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO communication fails intermittently

Hello,

I am having a serious problem with sbRIO detection and data transfer. I am using sbRIO 9606 for data acquisition in one of my projects. During the evaluation and development phase, I have configured the RIO with static IP but using an ehternet swicht that is also connected to the internet. But I toggle my computer back and forth from intenet to sbRIO communication by chaning the IP settings of my computer. I am using a regular Ethernet cable and I never saw any issues with data transfer or device detection.

In the final product, we are not using the Ethernet Switch. We are using a combo cable, that carrys 4 lines for power and 8 for ethernet. On one end of the combo, I have a regular 10 ft ethernet cable as a jucntion to connect to the computer. And on the other end, another 2ft ethernet cable to connect to the RIO, and the power is used to power the sbRIO board.

This setup also works fine some times, but the other times the buffer on the board keeps filling up and doesn't transfer the data on time to the computer, and some other times the board is not even detected. The device is configured with the static IP address. I also tried the cross over cable connection by crossing the two pair on the Ethernet Combo cable. Still the same issue. It works some times and does't work some other times. I am also using a different computer a dell laptop for the final product.

Please help me resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,452 Views)

Do you have a good, common ground between the  -9606 and the laptop?  We have had communication and damage issues with Power Over Ethernet deployments of -9606 boards.  Eventually we wound up reworking our grounding and building custom Ethernet surge suppressors to go between the POE splitter and the -9606.  Also check out page 16 of the Operating Instructions and Specifications manual.

Hope that helps.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,411 Views)