LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save 12bit image without imaq

Solved!
Go to solution

I saw this http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Store-a-12-bit-gray-scale-image/td-p/566500

and started to worry, since at the beginning it was stated that For 12/16 bit gray scale, you should use IMAQ.

I dont have IMAQ, but I have 12bit grayscale images generated by a ThorLabs camera - what can I do?

... what I accomplished so far with this:

savepngerror.png

... is to get completely distorted images.

alessandro

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,674 Views)

I think I'm getting a "Reputation" on this Forum!  Please, do not attach pictures of a part of your VI, but instead attach the VI, itself.  We need to see all of the code, in context, to be able to make the best (or sometimes the only "non-guess") suggestions.  We can't see, for example, what ThorLabs routines you used to acquire the images.

What does ThorLabs say about how to do this?  Have you run any of their example code (assuming they have such)?

Show us the code, please.

Bob "No Pictures" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,646 Views)

of course...

I have this habit due to long years on very different forums, where heavy attachments were frowned upon... (oh, the BBS & modem times!)

here's the code

alessandro

PS

What does ThorLabs say about how to do this?  Have you run any of their example code (assuming they have such)?

this IS their code - I'm working on it, adding & modifying it (with my mere less-than-1-month old experience of Labview 🙂 ... among other things, no way to save the images was present!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,636 Views)

Thanks.  You seem to be calling functions from ThorLab's SDK, but without knowing the Camera you are using, I haven't been able to find any references that tell me how this works.  There do seem to be a library of functions that allow you to manipulate images, but one manual I saw noted "Some of the examples require that you have NI Vision installed", so you might need this package, which would mean you would get NI's IMAQ and IMAQdx functions (which probably more of us know).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,630 Views)

You know that you can install IMAQ and distribute applications with it, it does not require license (as imaqdx or vision development module). It includes image display controls, saving/reading files, overlay.

Would it be easier? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,624 Views)

I dont understand... from  this I see that I have to pay! 

Am I missing something? Where do I find a free IMAQ???

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,617 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alzyx
  • Use NI-IMAQ to acquire from analog, parallel digital, Camera Link cameras; NI Smart Cameras (free)
  • Use NI-IMAQdx with USB3 Vision, GigE Vision, IP (Ethernet), IEEE 1394 devices (requires license)

I don't remember exactly what is included in what (or if you need the vision development module and not the vision acquisition module) but you should be able to download it and try it

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,600 Views)

I thank everybody for the help.

NI didnt go out of its way to make the page visible, if somebody ever will have any doubt, IMAQ can be downloaded here

So now I have IMAQ at last!

... since I dont have any manual downloaded with it, can somebody please point me to an example concerning my problem - saving a grayscale 12bit image with it?

thanks a lot!

alessandro

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,578 Views)