From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

robotics

Hey Guys,

I am a BE Electronics Student from Mumbai university and I am planning to develop a project ' SCARA robotic Arm ' by developing a Teach Pendant virtual instrument (vi) on the National Instruments LabVIEW 2009 software and then porting it to the RoBoard SBC to make it a standalone.

The Scara will have 2 revolute joints controlled by DC servo motors , a linear Z direction servo motor and a gripper controlled by dc servo. There will be limit switches as sensors and there may be use of gyro at the end -effector.

The User will be able to teach the robotic arm by individually controlling each servo position and then this will be recorded on the Roboard's memory , now when the user is done teaching and wants the process to repeat. he will mention the no. of iterations and the arm is supposed to perform the same action. 

I am using standard DC servo Motors as actuators for the robotic arm and contrlling thier positions via the front panel (teach pendant) of labview by PWM technique. I have developed a standard PWM vi to control servos. 
Now , here are my questions:

1. I don't know how to do the same with RoBoard as the hardware , how to use the clock of the Roboard to generate sqaure pulse for the pwm with labview ? are there any tutorials or tips for the same.
Roboard is a SBC , so basically I want to extract the processor CPU clock on the labview and control it using pwm to control the motors , which pallets should I use on the block diagram ?

2. Now, secondly i would like to know how to port labview to roboard, like I think we can install the windows XP OS into the roboard via the micro-sd card and make the labview vi an executable (.exe) file and then run that on the roborad. Please help me out with this too.

I hope you'll will get a brief idea about my project. And Please suggest if I am wrong in choosing any of the mentioned hardwares too.

Awaiting HELP.

Thanking You.

rdd0101
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,176 Views)

Hello rdd0101,

For integrating LabVIEW with any SBC like RoBoard, please refer to this link : http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/pub/p/id/754. Any further information with regards to RoBoard, you will have to check with the respective developers.

To generate a PWM, you can use this link http://niweb.natinst.com/confluence/display/MIOPSE/Generate+PWM+Signal.vi, or you can easily find a solution from numerous examples on PWM generation in the LabVIEW example finder. Go to Help -> Find Examples -> Search for PWM.

To answer your second question, if you have any windows on the RoBoard, you can easily port the LabVIEW exe on to it and run it.

Regards,

Sahil Singla
Applications Engineer | National Instruments

(Give Kudos to good Answers and Mark it as a Solution if your problem is Solved)
Message 2 of 3
(2,112 Views)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your helpful reply, also can you suggest to me for generating and sending the pwm as the output to one of the pins on the sbc , do i have to use labview fga logic for the same or is there any better alternative for using the vi on the sbc !!

awaiting your reply.

rdd0101

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,108 Views)