LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

right-clicking on sub-vi crashes LabView 7.0

Hello,
I found a discussion with the subject above. You do not give a solution in that thread. How do I stop labview from crashing when I right click on a sub vi.

Tyson.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,497 Views)
You are in for a nightmare. I have the same problem, only it is in Labview 7.1. So far I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Labview, no luck. Then I called NI tech support and got a procedure that told me to uninstall, and use regedit to wipe out all instances of National Instruments software from the registry. Then I reinstalled everything (Labview, TestStand, NI Switch, toolkits, etc), which involved about a thousand reboots. It worked fine for about 2 hours, then I started getting the same problem, Labview 7.1 crashes when I right click on a subvi. It also crashes when I right click on a reference node. I can right click on functions or on a blank space and it does not crash. At this point I am about to get a whole new computer and reinstall everything from scratch. NI needs to figure this one out.
Good Luck.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,493 Views)
I found my problem. I had added some vi's to the user.lib folder, then edited the palette view. Somehow the dir.mnu file in the user.lib folder got corrupted. When I removed this file, Labview no longer crashed on right click. Of course I cannot access the user.lib palette anymore. I am trying to find out how to rebuild it correctly.
- tbob

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,476 Views)
Hey Tbob,

Go to Add/Remove programs and Repair LabVIEW. This will "rebuild" your user.lib palette menu for you (albeit from scratch). Sometimes .mnu files are hard to work with and just recreating them is easier than modifying them.

Hope this helps!

Travis H.
National Instruments
Travis H.
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,458 Views)
Thanx, Travis. I found out that the corruption happened because I took a folder of vi's that were created in LV 5.1.1, and copied them to LV7.1 user.lib folder, then mass compiled. The folder of vi's had some decorations (lines, arrows, boxes) in it. I now believe that these decorations from 5.1.1 are not compatible with 7.1. I will have to rebuild these vi's from scratch in LV7.1.
- tbob

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,450 Views)
Hey tbob,

Interesting. I haven't heard of that exact situation before, but it makes sense. Glad you found a solution!

Take care,
Travis
Travis H.
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,441 Views)
These are interesting responses. I too am having issues with VI's that were originally created in Labview 6.1. I can't re-create them all in 7.0. Is there some kind of fix or mass conversion or error/integrety check I can do to see what is actually causing this problem.

I'll try the repair option, of course, but I've done that once already and it still doesn't work.

Thanks

Tyson.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,427 Views)
Hi TyWire,

The Repair approach was just to fix tbob's dir.mnu file. Whenever you corrupt a file in LabVIEW, you can always repair it. However, the original issue of tbob's (and what now also seems to be your issue) is that there is some problems with some VIs. Repairing LabVIEW doesn't touch any of your VIs.

I would check each of your VIs to see that they actually open and run correctly in LabVIEW 7.0. They should, but we wouldn't be posting on this thread if everything was working like it should :-).

If you don't find anything that sticks out as the culprit, I would recommend trying tbob's approach. Although tedious, it will get you back to ground zero. Uninstall LabVIEW and then Reinstall (not the same as Repairing). Then see if the same behavior occurs. If so, then post back saying so. If everything is working properly after reinstalling, make a note of the things that you change in the environment. That way if the situation comes up again, maybe you can pinpoint the action that caused it!

Hope this helps!

Travis H.
National Instruments
Travis H.
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,405 Views)