LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

report pdf word

Hello

I am generating a WORD report in Labview 8. I'd like to return the report as a pdf instead of word. is this possible ?

Kudos are the best way to say thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,918 Views)

Hi Maximus,

The Report Generation VIs are currently only capable of generating reports to the printer and to HTML (and, of course, to Excel and Word if you have the Report Generation Toolkit for MS Office).  We currently have a suggestion on the books to add PDF report generation capabilities to the toolkit, so you may see this functionality in a future version of the Report Generation Toolkit.

-D

P.S. - Here's another possibility...I read an article on Office 12 (coming out later this year, supposedly) that indicated that one of the features of the new Office would be that Microsoft Word could save documents as PDFs.  So if this does end up being a feature in the product, and they expose this functionality through ActiveX, we may be able to utilize that functionality in a future version of the Report Generation Toolkit.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,913 Views)
Well, if you can send a report to a printer, there are a considerable number of freeware and shareware programs which will set up a printer driver that generates PDF files. I've often used http://www.pdf995.com with good results.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,911 Views)

Oh yeah, good point.  I've actually done that before (I think with the PDF print driver you mentioned) to test the Report Generation Toolkit on computers that weren't on the network (and thus, were not connected to a printer).  And you can actually print a Word report using the Print Report.vi, so all you would need to do would be to add the Print Report.vi to your program, and specify the "printer" you've configured with the PDF print driver.

-D

Message Edited by Darren on 03-06-2006 11:00 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,910 Views)

Greetings,

If you using other tools (.NET, etc) you might be able to use the third party add-on packages from within your application which can create pdfs.

Cheers

JMA

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,899 Views)
To second JMA's post, I think you can get at Adobe Acrobat through ActiveX.  It may be able to do what you want.

I think it might be somewhat expensive and I haven't done this, so you might want to try some of the other options first :-).

Thanks,
Bob Young
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,888 Views)
All
Thanks very much for your posts. The reason why I am trying to avoid WORD is, I am writing this software for a production machine. So that PC is gonna have minimal software.

I will try out the activex/.net to see if I can generate a pdf out of word report.

Kudos are the best way to say thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,872 Views)