LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replace string in a specific line

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone thanks in advance for your time .

I'm almost finishing a project , (a software to handle hotel room reservation and a data base of passengers ) .

I made a function which writes to a .txt  file a cluster with a few string  fields of personal informacion , each field separated by tabs and each client separated by new line .

Example :          name      address    phone     etc.

Robert    xxxxxx         yyyyyyy     

Patrick    xxxxxx         yyyyyyy

Mila         xxxxxx         yyyyyyy

Now i don't know how can i do to search by name and to be able to modify each field .

Example :

if i search for Patrick , i want to be able to modify the address or phone number , or any  other field . 

I know how to search in a text file until i reach the word searched , but i don't figure out how to modify the field and write again the information to the same file in the same original line .

Any contribution will be great ! thanks again .

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,296 Views)

Sounds like you may want to consider using a real database instead of a text file at some point.

For now, look into Search and Replace using Regular Expressions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,289 Views)

Can you post at least the cluster control you are using, if not the VIs as well?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,282 Views)
You should be reading the file with the Read From Spreadsheet function. This gives you a 2D string array. It's easy to search and replace specific elements in the array. What is your problem with it?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,277 Views)

thank you all for helping me .

Here it is what i'm trying to do .

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,266 Views)

Yep, doing a Read from Spreadsheet (or, in 2015, Read Delimited Spreadsheet) makes it relatively simple.  Row 1 has all the Headers, so you can find the Column headed "Name" by doing a search.  You can now search the Name Column looking for whomever, which gives you the Entry Row.  Finally, read the Row and do what you will.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,261 Views)

thank you friend .

yes i don't have problems with search the line to modify , i have trouble with modify the field and then save the array to the original file , in a few words ,

i read the complete file and i get an array of strings , then i transform each element of that array into another array which contains each field of the desired line , now i perform the modifications to the fields , but then i have to save the modifications to the original file , (update the original file ) , i hope you could understand .

Thank you .

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,252 Views)

Hi Maxi,

I think they are saying that if you use "read from spreadsheet" you will get a 2D array. You can easily replace your array element, then write to spreadsheet again. In this context a "spreadsheet" is just a delimited text file, it looks like you chose tabs so it should work quite nicely.

In short, don't use the read from text file, use the read from spreadsheet.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,246 Views)

thanks for your clear explanation , i did not understand sorry , i will try what you said .

Thank you very much , and thanks to all of you for always help !

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,229 Views)

Sorry about being so dumb , but i can't achive what you suggested .

Here is the block diagram .

Thanks again for your kindness

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,214 Views)