LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove subpalettes

Hi there!

Editing function palettes or subpalettes appears to be rather tedious. See the attached screenshot. I wanted to remove the "User Express vis" subpalette from the "User Libraries" palette since I don't use it. Obviously, simply deleting the associated folder and *.mnu file doesn't work. The icon is still there and shows now a big question mark. How can I get rid of the broken icon? Clicking right on it delivers various options but no "delete".

Any hint?

Thanks,

Peter

Message 1 of 15
(5,832 Views)

Hello Peter,

I have read though this Knowledge Base article which describes the approach that you may have taken, but the subpalette in question doesn't have the option to delete! (I confirmed this on LabVIEW 8.x)

May I suggest trying this option:

hideSynchronised.PNG    "Hide Synchronized Item"

This worked for me and has the same effect; removing it from view. The trouble with deleting icons, is that a repair/install of LabVIEW is usually needed to bring them back!

To get into the 'Edit' mode, you can find it on the menu: Tools > Advanced > Edit Palette Set

Regards,

Message Edited by macaba on 07-27-2009 05:31 AM
Message 2 of 15
(5,816 Views)

Sorry, just wanted to clarify:

The good thing about using "Hide Synchronized Item" is this gives the functionality of bringing the palettes back later at relative ease.

Message 3 of 15
(5,805 Views)

Macaba,

"Hide Synchronized Icon" only makes the question mark icon gray. It's still there.

Hopefully the next major LabVIEW release will allow to truly and easy customize the palettes. The current situation is unsatisfying. Can you feed this into the LabVIEW improvement process, please?

Thanks for your contribution!

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,791 Views)

Hi Peter,

if you unselect "synchronize with directory" from the parent palette, then you can delete the express vi's palette.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 07-27-2009 02:37 PM
Message 5 of 15
(5,781 Views)

Hi stoeckel,

Thank you very much for your input. Our R&D team value input from our customer base, and I would ask if it is possible for you to fill on a Product Suggestion

With regards to the question mark icon grey. Yes it will grey out the icon within the  Edit Palette Set settings, however this will hide the palette when the palette is viewed by standard use. This only seems to hold a "Greyed out marker box" for the Express palette.

Ashish Naik
Automotive Business Development Manager
National Instruments UK
Message 6 of 15
(5,760 Views)

Hi Mike,

"Synchronize with Directory" is unselected but still I can't delete the palette. See the attached screenshot.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,743 Views)

Hi Peter,

not from the palette you want to remove, rather the parent of this palette.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,736 Views)

Hello,

If I click the following option:

hideIcon.PNG

and then Save Changes

then my palette looks like this:

hiddenIcon.PNG

Does this behaviour happen on your labVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,723 Views)

Hi Macaba,

I am afraid that my palette behaves different from yours because I deleted the *.mnu that was behind the item "Express User Libraries". That's why just a question mark is shown. I cannot select the menu points "Hide Synchronized Item" and "Synchronize with directory" anymore. It seems that I first have to repair the palette by reinstalling it from the LabVIEW DVD. I am not sure whether the question mark icon is worth the effort. I wish NI finds a more obvious and intuitive way for customization of the palettes. The current solution is very cumbersome, at least for my taste.

Thanks for your help!

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,712 Views)