LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote panel - issues and questions

So, what the title says.  I'm having issues with Remote Panels.

First, the default example in LV 2014 does not appear to be working.  The client always returns "vi not loaded in server computer" type error.  Yet, I found an example from LabVIEW 7 (attached) that appears to be working fine. The differences are very minor.  Any suggestions?

Second, if anyone has links to good reading / documentation / examples, etc on remote panels any and all would be much appreciated.  End goal is to have medium-large sized application that will be run remotely in a LabVIEW environment (not web).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,865 Views)
My thought would be to try something simple just to see if a basic connection works. If you just use vanilla VI Server calls can you get to the other computer?

Also I seem to remember that somewhere around Ver 8 NI rewrote a lot of the networking stuff.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,843 Views)

After some testing, it looks like the remote panel example shipped with 2014 does not work. It is missing the FP.Open VI Method needed to load it in to memory.

The next problem I'm having with remote panels is launching dialog / popup windows.  Calling a VI that has the property "Show front panel when called" will launch the VI on both the client and server computer.  If the client closes the panel (Panel Close?) event will close it on the client, but not the server - effectively locking the running VI.  Any fixes to this?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,798 Views)

Not that I can think of, unless... Perhaps you could get a reference to the dialog box that is running on the server and force it to close in some way. A better solution as a whole might be to not using blocking dialog boxes. Can a VI tell if it's being remoted into?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,795 Views)

Rewriting my application to not use pop up dialog / menus / options, etc is... not ideal 😛

As far as I can tell there is no way for a VI to determine if it is being called via remote access. I guess plan "B" is to just create my own menu bar and add it to all of my dialogs, and turn off the "Has Title Bar" property.  It'd be a pain, but easier than redesigning things.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,790 Views)