LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote front panel cannot load in browser but works from labview

Problem is that the error "Fatal error occurred during operation, closing connection"
occurs after some timeout period when loading a web page with remote front panel.

The web page loads and first shows "Downloading panel.  0.00% of 0 bytes." as normal, but that message never updates and then
the error occurs.
NOTE that the application is running (it is blinking an LED on the FieldPoint controller),
AND that I can use the LabView menu    Operate->Connect to remote panel, and it works fine (I enter the IP address and "main.vi").
So the app is OK, and remote panel access via LabVIEW is OK, just not access within the browser.

I made sure the browser (IE6) has that IP address set in the trusted sites zone.
I turned my firewall (ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Pro) completely off, and even stopped it, with no effect.
There is network activity when trying to load the panel in the browser, but it doesn't load.

System is Compact Fieldpoint, with LabVIEW realtime 8.2.
Loading a simple application that loops until a Stop button, displays a value.
It runs OK, I have even embedded it as a startup application and it boots into the application just fine.

Any ideas?  Thanks....

Message 1 of 34
(8,905 Views)
Ok, one question you have the RTE of LabVIEW installed? On the viewing PC?
Do you use Tab Control? Their are some things (sub-panel/tab control/activeX) that can't be done with web-panels.

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34
(8,888 Views)

This is a very simple example, all that is on the panel is a thermometer-style numeric indicator and a Stop button.
No subpanels, tabs, etc.
I am viewing it on the development PC, so it has the RTE.  (The development PC can connect to the remote panel from the LV environment).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34
(8,886 Views)
Sid,
I know you said you brought down your firewall. However, if you're running WindowsXP SP2, then you have a second firewall enabled also. Have you taken down the Windows Firewall?

Also, what happens if you use a crossover cable? Using a crossover cable will eliminate any network protocols.

Lastly, do you have a PC \ Laptop that doesn't have any of your companie's network configurations \ firewall software installed that you could try this on? Post to let us know.

Chris C
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34
(8,857 Views)

The ZoneLabs firewall integrates with XP and takes the place of XP firewall - if I look at XP firewall it is off.

I tried another computer with no firewalls, and even connected through a dumb mini-hub, nothing else on the network.  I had to install LV8.2 runtime on this one
since it did not have LV at all.

Again, I can use ftp://192.168.0.10 and browse the file system on the cFP-2120.
I can view the sample web pages that came already stored on the cFP-2120 (which have just text and images).
I can bring up the web page that is supposed to contain the remote panel (generated by the web connection wizard originally).. and it looks like it will load,
shows 0% of 0 bytes.. but then gives an error after 10 or 20 seconds.

Also, keep in mind that on my development computer I can use LV's Operate/Connect to remote panel feature and see the remote panel and take control and use it,
so I know the VI is running.
The web server is clearly enabled also.

Something is just going wrong with loading a remote panel in the web interface...

The cFP-2120 did get updated with all the latest software versions so it has the same LV version, 8.2 realtime.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34
(8,847 Views)
Hey Sid,
So the next step is to verify your Web Server Configuration for your target. If you right click on the target in your project window and select properties, you'll note a number of "web server" items in the list. For "Web Server: Configuration" the "enable web server" should be checked on. Next, in the "Web Server: Visible VIs" section, you should have a "*" (no quotes)  with a green check mark in the visible VIs list. In "WebServer Browser Access" you should again have a "*" (no quotes) with a double green arrow in the Browser access list.

Let us know you're settings. Thanks!

Chris C
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34
(8,825 Views)

thanks... yes i do have * for all the access lists.  I also tried specifically naming the VI I want to view under "visible VIs".
Since I can view text/image web pages hosted by the cFP controller, I know the server is allowing me access.
I also find that if I build a web page with embedded VI but I change the property to refer to a nonsense VI name that is not in the system,
I get a sensible message in the browser that says that the VI is not loaded into memory.

So I think it is getting past all that, knows that the VI is there and is trying to load it as a remote panel, but it fails.  I certainly wish the
error message had more detail than "Fatal error...".

Has anyone else been trying this with LV version 8.2 and cFP?  Any chance it is a problem with 8.2?
I did find already that I needed to download new FieldPoint drivers (later than the one on the CD in the cFP box) in order to get cFP to talk
to LV8.2 at all.  Maybe still a problem with the remote panel browser plug-in for 8.2?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34
(8,819 Views)
Hey Sid,
So in your first post you said that you could use remote front panels in 8.20 and cFP with a super simple app and it worked ok. I've also been able to use remote front panels with 8.20 and cFP.

I'm not quite sure what the offending piece of code might be. I would start eliminating sections of code until it starts working.

Chris C
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
(8,791 Views)

Latest experiment... I started fresh with LV 8.2 and used the "New real-time project" wizard.
I created a project with the simplest possible options - no deterministic components, one loop, remote panel interface.
I can deploy it and run it.
I can connect to the remote panel using Operate / Connect to remote panel within LV.
I copied the generated HTML file into the \ni-rt\system\www folder on the cFP unit using FTP.
When I open that page from the cFP by double clicking I get the same problem - the page starts out OK but never loads and gives that error.
(I tried putting the web page in the root folder too and setting it up to have the web root be the root and no change).

I have attached a ZIP of the whole project, but it is ALL auto-generated by LV.

Here are versions of all the software - maybe something else needs updating?
  In the cFP-2120:
      DataSocket for LabVIEW real-time 4.4
      FieldPoint Drivers 5.2.0
      FieldPoint VI Manager 4.1.0
      LabVIEW Real-Time 8.2
      NI-IrDA RT 1.0.2
      NI-Serial RT 3.1.0
      NI-VISA 4.0
      NI-Watchdog 2.1.5
If I go to Add/Remove software for the cFP in MAX, all the versions match the latest I have on my computer.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34
(8,760 Views)
Hey Sid,
So I downloaded your poject and renamed the vi on the host without spaces. I then recreated the html document and renamed it test.html. On the target for "Web Server: Configuration" make sure the "root directory" is set to c:\ni-rt\system\www (the location of the html document). I then built the project with the TargetSingleRate.vi as the startup vi and included the html as a support file (don't know if this made a difference). I also ftp the html to the www directory on the target. After all this, I was able to get stuff to work with no problems.

Chris C
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34
(8,728 Views)