LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recovering from Display Off

I have a labview app that I am deploying to a touch panel pc running windows 7.  As we do not want the operator to have access to the start menu or other common windows things I am using my application as the shell on the pc when logged into the user account as opposed to explorer.exe which is the standard shell.  After a certain amount of time (as determined in power settings) the display will go blank (turn off) but the application is still running behind it.  being as there are many buttons on the display - the user may inadvertently press a button when waking the display back up.  I am looking for a method to prevent button activation on display wake up but then allow normal button activation.  I have to believe this is a common need but the vendor of the flat panel display said they never had this question before. 

Ideas I have had are: 

monitor display timeout setting and when display goes dark put a clear button over the front of the whole panel.  then on wake up the first touch will be the big clear button as opposed to what is behind it.  Upon being touched the button goes invisible and the underlying controls are assessible.  this works but tends to look a litte quirky at times.  since this will be an actual product we want it to behave flawlessly.

use a blank screen saver so first touch will deactivate screen saver.  If I were running explorer as the shell this would probably work.  Since I am not though I cannot directly launch the screen saver.  there are supposed .dll calls I could make from my app to force this to happen but I have not been successful in this avenue.

Looking for a good and robust solution to this.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,789 Views)

Shut off the power management!  (Keep the display on all the time)  Modern displays need no more power to display a window that contains a LabVIEW FP than one that displays a Black panel anyway.  (But "Energy Star" ratings criterea have not kept up with the times)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,772 Views)

Yeah we have a standard set of config for every tester.  Things regarding power management, internet connectivity, and Windows updates.  Not chaning these things means you may have unexpected reboots, or sleep / hibernating.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,768 Views)

Thanks Jeff,

In our case we would like the display to be able to go black when not activated for a certain period of time.  I like your idea but sadly is not what is desired in this case.  If there are no good solutions in this manner though maybe I can force the no power management route

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,764 Views)

@ctennies wrote:

Thanks Jeff,

In our case we would like the display to be able to go black when not activated for a certain period of time.  I like your idea but sadly is not what is desired in this case.  If there are no good solutions in this manner though maybe I can force the no power management route

OK, so do that from your app!  a nice modal black VI FP with a mouse up event / mouse move event to exit and close, launched from the main vi's timeout event would do the exact same thing as the OS power manager

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,759 Views)