cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reading timestamp from column in txt-file

Solved!
Go to solution

hi labview pros

i'm working with labview 8.6 for about 1 week and i need some help with reading txt-files.

the textfiles i have to read have 2 - 11 columns.

the first column shows the time and the others show different channels from which i measured voltages.

so, there is no problem with reading the voltage-columns, and put it onto the y-axe in the vi's graph but i can't get the time-column on the x-axe.

i took the basic "read from text file.vi" and modified it a bit according to my needs.

hope you can help me, getting the time column on the x-axe. (maybe with a xy-graph???)

the vi and txt-file i have to read are attached...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,753 Views)

You can right click on the grapg axis and select 'formatting'.  In the pop-uo select absolute or relitive time, add the 'container' and then select what you want to display.

xy formating.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,745 Views)

Changing the formatting does nothing. There is nothing in the data that can be used. The x axis would just default to a t0=0 and dt =1.

You could create a waveform data type and use the first time value as t0 and the sample rate as dt.

Message 3 of 9
(4,730 Views)
Solution
Accepted by fr33k

Here's an example. The formatting of the x axis to relative time will now do something.

Message 4 of 9
(4,726 Views)

jack47 wrote:

You can right click on the grapg axis and select 'formatting'.  In the pop-uo select absolute or relitive time, add the 'container' and then select what you want to display.

xy formating.PNG

lv01.PNG

i allready tried this option but it brings an incorrect result.

maybe you mentioned that with this option, every value in the graph gets a time of 1 second.

for example, the fourth value is at 01:00:03 (red line).

but in the txt-file the voltagevalues have a space of 4 seconds inbetween. so the third value should have a time of 12 seconds (cause first value starts at 0)

but thx for first reply!

Message Edited by fr33k on 09-16-2009 03:21 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,719 Views)

Hello,

Here is what I would do.  I created a second selection table for the x-axis and got it to format correctly for you.  Now you can plot any channel against any other channel - time included.  For this purpose though, I assumed that your x-axis selection would be time.

John Niezgoski

Signal.X Technologies

Certified Developer

Message 6 of 9
(4,710 Views)
thx for all your replies!

@dennis knutson: thx for the example-vi. i combined it with my vi and it worked fine. thats exactly what i was looking for!

@johnski: thx also for your solution, i think it also would work but it's a bit going to far for my needs. good work anyway. maybe i can use it in a next vi.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,681 Views)
Can you guys save it under 8.5 version. I would like to see it too. That could really help in my project. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,417 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,388 Views)