cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read data from xlsx data file

Solved!
Go to solution

Let me add a twist to this question:

I want to read FROM an excel file with more than 66000 rows, which I think requires an xlsx file format, and I do not have excel on the PC that will be running the LabVIEW application, so ActiveX is out.

I think I need to read in using database software.  In the past, I was using the Database Tools to read in an xls file that was smaller than the 65535 row limit for an xls file.  Now our data file has grown and the current vi will not work for afile larger than 65535.  It may just be that I don't have the correct connection string or ODBC setup.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(3,355 Views)

I think data has a solution for that. There are a Alliance Partner of NI:

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(3,173 Views)

Yes, it does. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(3,013 Views)

@afh wrote:

Never mind, doesn't solve it.  This reads from multi-sheet .xls files, but errors on .xlsx, even though a recent example.

Then you need to unmark your solution as the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(3,007 Views)

Sorry, Ben, but you are incorrect -- the Report Generation Toolkit can read Excel files perfectly well, it just isn't properly documented by NI.  If you wire the Workbook you want to open to the "Template" input in New Report, it will open the Excel Workbook.  There are commands you can use in the RGT to change to a specific WorkSheet, and other functions you can use to read (tabular) data from the WorkSheet.  You can also read individual Rows, Columns, or Cells -- you just need to specify the beginning and ending coordinates.

Someone asked recently (2-3 days ago, I think) if you can modify the open Excel Workbook while LabVIEW is using it.  I thought that this might be possible, so I tried it, and posted the results.  The answer is "Yes, you can", and I also posted about a 7-function demo program (which included, I think, three RGT functions + some "house-keeping" functions to get the file and handle the Stop button).

Now that the RGT is included in LabVIEW 2014, integrating LabVIEW and Excel is extremely easy, and quite fast.

Bob Schor

Message 15 of 16
(2,991 Views)

If you want to see an example using the RGT that will work with an XLSX file, type the word "Revised " (with the space) in the Forum's Search bar and it should take you to an example I posted more than a year ago.  The RGT works perfectly fine with XLSX files -- I use it all the time with files we create using Office 2010 (they serve as Control files for our experiments -- each row is a Trial, and each Trial has about 100 parameters that set the timing and specificity of the stimuli we present -- we also record about 20 pieces of data in the Excel Worksheet, including the index of the simultaneously-collected LabVIEW data file).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(2,988 Views)