LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-start producer while loop

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement a producer/consumer architecture. I'm hoping there is something simple that I don't understand.

I have a state machine executing in it's while loop, doing things like saving and processing data. The data is being passed through a queue from a separate while loop. I'm currently starting that producer loop using occurrences, and I can stop it with a local variable. 

What I can't figure out is how to restart that loop from within the state machine?  In essence, I'd like to have a switch that says "Collect Data" and it will turn the producer while loop on and off but leave the main program running in the meantime. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,657 Views)
You can't restart a loop unless you wrap it up in another while loop.  And that isn't really the cleanest way to go.  Why stop the producer loop at all?  Why not have it go into an idle state where it does nothing in some situations, but will do what it is doing now in other cases.  Use the local variable to drive the case structure instead of driving the stop terminal for the while loop.
Message 2 of 9
(3,655 Views)

Mike,

the consumer should not stop the producer if no data is needed in the state machine of the consumer. Instead, just discard all data. It's just that simple.  No need for information flow from the consumer to the producer at all here.

Ok, if you want to stop acquisition in the producer due to performance issues, you should use custom user events if the producer is event driven. If the producer works with a polling architecture, you have to control the producer using a global transfermechanism. Suggested way is imho a functional global (FGV) for this purpose. 

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,627 Views)

If you are using queues you can get the the consumer loop to execute when data is available using the 'dequeue element' vi so there should be no need to use occurences. You can include a start sequence and stop sequence state to control the squence in the state machine (consumer loop) and have a seperate 'stop loop' state to stop the loop when you want to exit.

Dont forget to pass the required state and any data to the queue

David
www.controlsoftwaresolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,620 Views)

Thanks very much for the good suggestions. There's one thing that I didn't make clear: The producer loop can't start acquiring data until the DAQ is configured, and I do that in the main state machine (i.e., the consumer loop). The reason that I've wanted to be able to stop and start the producer loop is to change DAQ parameters, such as the sampling interval. This requires re-initializing the DAQ and passing that to the producer loop.

Not sure if what I want to do is the right way to do things, of course.

If I'm reading Ravens Fan correctly, I could basically have a separate state machine for the producer loop with the state driven by local variables from the consumer loop. That would certainly accomplish my goals. Is there any reason that's not a good way to do things? 

One point is that performance isn't an issue; I'm sampling at 10 hz and saving data a 1 hz. 

Thanks again!

mike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,603 Views)

Without getting too deep into it, you can have the produce loop's DAQ configured from the consumer loop, if you encapsulate the DAQ in an action engine. What this is basically is a functional global that contains the various DAQ functions such as configure, acquire, close, and you can then place it both the consumer and producer loops. What it does is store the information, such as board refnum, in the functional global, so that there doesn't have to be the wired reference passed from one DAQ function to the next.

Just a thought, a long, stressful night/morning so far, taking a break to lead others astray here!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,601 Views)

mooseo wrote:

If I'm reading Ravens Fan correctly, I could basically have a separate state machine for the producer loop with the state driven by local variables from the consumer loop. That would certainly accomplish my goals. Is there any reason that's not a good way to do things? 

Yes, that is pretty much what I'm thinking.

Though, Putnam's idea is an excellent one.  I'm a big fan of action engines.  Unless I'm doing something really basic, I try to encapsulate any related functions in an action engine.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,595 Views)

Basically, i find producer/consumer architectures where the consumer creates "commands" (Edit: which do more than simple notification tasks) for the producer quite absurd.

I would switch to a three loop architecture:

Producer A is responsible for UI display/control. It feeds Consumer A which is infact Producer B.

Producer B (aka Consumer A) is the DAQ consumer. It will acquire data due to the settings passed by Producer A. The DAQ data will be passed to Consumer B.

Consumer B handles the data passed by Producer B. If necessary, it can create custom user events in order to notify Producer A about certain situations in the software.

An approach with an Action Engine can be similar in regard to functionality, has its own advantages and disadantages.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Message Edited by Norbert B on 01-14-2010 12:13 PM
Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,582 Views)

Thanks very much for all the help. I've spent a lot of time reading about action engines and it's been very informative.

cheers,

mike

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,543 Views)