LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"write to measurement file" specify column names

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?? It seems like you need a "Set dynamic data attributes" express vi for EVERY signal. It does allow you to change the "signal index" from 0, 1, 2 etc, but you can't specify the name for each index. I have about 20+ Different signals that I am logging so having 20 of these express boxes will be a hassle.

If I find a solution I will post.

Thanks in advance!

~Ryan J. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 28
(9,133 Views)

Of course it allows you to specify a name. And all that you have to do is place a single function inside a for loop and pass in an array of names.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 28
(9,125 Views)

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to do this.  

Currently I have 2 inputs, a "Water Exit" and "Water Inlet" (this will soon be 15 inputs so just trying to do this the most optimal way possible).  I combine those into "Build Array."  If I output this to "Write to Measurement File," then I get a timestamp with "Untitled" and "Untitled 1" as others have said.  

- If I use "Set Dynamic Data Attributes," the timestamp disappears and goes to 0 or 1.  I'm not sure how to fix this.  

- I'm pretty new to LabVIEW and am not sure how to use the "Set Dynamic Data Attributes" inside a For loop.  I've currently placed a constant array of 1 and 2 for "String Index" and a string array of Water Exit and Water Inlet into "Signal Name," but when I try to connect "Signal Out" with the "Write to Measurement File" Signal, it outputs an error.  

A picture would be fantastic if anyone could provide.  Thank you for your help.  

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 28
(8,947 Views)

Just thought I'd mention that I solved the timestamp issue.  However the "Set Dynamic Data Attributes" function inside a For loop is still giving me trouble.  Thanks.  

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 28
(8,942 Views)

Hi,

What is the error you are seeing?  Do you have auto indexing for the tunnel out of the for loop turned on or off?

Regards,

Greg H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 15 of 28
(8,926 Views)

This was a duplicate post.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 28
(8,923 Views)

Figured this thread was dead so I ended up making a new post.  Thanks for your reply though.  

It ended up being an indexing issue as well as changing to shift registers.  

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 28
(8,916 Views)

Here is a snippet of what this looks like - I had an issue with this, and figured this would be good for future users.

I did note that I had to use a bit of trickery (1-D array of scalars, most recent value) to make the output file only contain *one* line of data in my loop.

Here is a screen shot of important pieces; a static 1D array of strings, and then the 'for' loop with Set Dynamic Data Attributes inside, and a shift register.

One thing that I haven't figured out - how to make a SubVI out of the loop; when I try doing this, I can't figure out how to create the data pipe coming in (that usually is the output of 'merge signals' or the DAQ Assistant.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 28
(8,374 Views)

Hi Apaac,

What exactly are you having trouble with when making the subvi?  Can you not just specify the output of Merge Signals as one of the input terminals?

Mason M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 28
(8,351 Views)
The issue is that I don't recall/know how to make a Front Panel Dynamic Data Type (feeding into the blue pipe). If I simply right click and create a control input, I get a Numeric Double, which isn't what I need. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious... A
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 28
(8,345 Views)