From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"loopback" counter output without wiring

Cross posted from another forum for more visibility:

Basically, I have a counter output being generated on a trigger line. It's just a pulse at defined intervals of 1 hz. The problem is, the card that is generating the output needs the trigger itself, but if it is using the trigger line to output the trigger itself, it can't read it. I know I can get around this with a timing and synch card, and possibly with external wiring, but is there any way to do this all in the backplane?

In summary, can I have a AO card generating a counter output on a trigger line use that output as a trigger for itself in some way, without extra wiring or a 6672 card?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,203 Views)

Greg,

What are you really triing to do?  your post is a bit more cryptic than usual.

My instinct says "a single board RIO" would do the trick.  but, that's a lot of capability to throw at a simple PFIO line.  What did you get yourself into this time?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,191 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Greg,

What are you really triing to do?  your post is a bit more cryptic than usual.

My instinct says "a single board RIO" would do the trick.  but, that's a lot of capability to throw at a simple PFIO line.  What did you get yourself into this time?

NO NO NO. No sbRIO. Did NI pay you to help market now?! Smiley Tongue

All I want to do is have a digital pulse, which I can use as a start trigger for ALL my AI and AO. Some tasks stop and restart while others keep running continuously. When the select tasks restart, they need to sync back up with the continuously running tasks, and they do so by using this start trigger again. This is not a clock sync, think of it like a "wait until next ms multiple." I resolve this by having a digital pulse happening every "x millseconds" which I use as my start trigger. If a task restarts, it will again wait for this pulse.

The problem is, if I am generating this trigger on PXI1Slot12/PXI_trig0, I cannot also trigger off of this trigger line in slot 12.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,182 Views)