From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Window runs transparently" bug

You only see  your use case. There are others including LabVIEW beginners. Imagine you set that transparency, set the VI to run mode and happen to save that VI, (by quiting LabVIEW and acknowledging the save all for instance). Now you have a VI that will seemingly do nothing if you open it again. A few months from now you may have forgetten that you set it to be transparent, someone else surely will not realize it is there but totally invisible.

That aside I would guess there are possibly other reasons for not applying transparancy to the Vi before it gets started. Some of them may have to do with platform quirks in the underlaying OS.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(534 Views)

I still don't understand the objection.

If you close a VI Ctrl-M mode, and reopen it, it will have switched back to Edit mode.

Anyhow, can you explain to me how you are satisfied with the fact that there is no simple way to preview the effect of transparency on a FP?

Seriously?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(525 Views)

There are two reasons I haven't had any issues with this. The first ist that I find transparent windows rather unneccessary and the second that if I have to do something like that it's usually the last thing to do after writing the program rather than the first. At that point the entire application already works and starting up my application to test the look is one mouse click anyway and involves checking more things than just a transparent effect.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 13 of 14
(512 Views)

Just to wrap up my point:

if you seriously mess up transparency at run time, as you pointed out, you might have to kill your app (or LV if you have been careless enough to do that with a modal window).

Whereas if you could, as *I* am expecting, try out the effect of playing with transparency without danger (by toggling Ctrl-M back and forth), there would be no such drastic effect.

I really don't see where we put the life of beginners in danger by expecting this.

End of the discussion, AFAIK.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(499 Views)