From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Not enough memory to complete this operation" message

Hi Matt,

Yes, you are doing it right:

• Open “RWM_LAB font panel dummy DAQ.vi”
  • Select first 5 channels
  • Start capture  (about 5 seconds)
  • Stop capture
  • Start capture again – error occurs immediately.

(and reappears each subsequent time one hits the Start Capture or Quit Program buttons).

This is with 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise, running Labview 2013 SP1  (13.0.1f2, 64-bit).    I have two computers like this and they both give the message.

If I try it on an old laptop (Windows Vista, Labview 2013 SP1 (13.0.1, 32 bit)) I don't get the message.  Interestingly, when I quit Labview on this machine it prompts me to save all the VIs, with a  message for each one something like "VI has been reconfigured for new system.  VI has been recompiled".  Maybe the recompilation fixes the problem or maybe it is a fault with the 64-bit implementation?

Thanks

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(972 Views)

Hi Roger, 

I'll see about installing 64-bit LabVIEW and testing this. Can I ask why you are using 64-bit however? Even on a 64-bit machine, we would recommend using 32-bit LabVIEW, as this is much better for compatibility, and much easier to support. If you don't have any need for the 64-bit LabVIEW features I would highly recommend switching those PCs to 32-bit. 

Kind regards,

Matt H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(963 Views)

Hi Matt

I just installed the university-licensed version from our School of Engineering intranet - only has the 64 bit version.

I don't think NI has told them that the 32-bit version is more reliable.

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(952 Views)

@roger1922 wrote:

Hi Matt

I just installed the university-licensed version from our School of Engineering intranet - only has the 64 bit version.

Roger

Well, not more reliable - just more compatible.  Remember how hard it used to be to find drivers and stuff for 64-bit Windows?  Well, there's much more support in the NI world for LV 32-bit than LV 64-bit.

BTW - if you have a copy of LabVIEW 32-bit, you can install it alongside the 64-bit version using the same license.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(942 Views)

@billko wrote:

@roger1922 wrote:

Hi Matt

Roger

Well, not more reliable - just more compatible.  Remember how hard it used to be to find drivers and stuff for 64-bit Windows?  Well, there's much more support in the NI world for LV 32-bit than LV 64-bit.

BTW - if you have a copy of LabVIEW 32-bit, you can install it alongside the 64-bit version using the same license.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(917 Views)

@roger1922 wrote:

@billko wrote:

Thanks Bill, I have now got both 32 and 64-bit installed. 

The bug occurs in the 64-bit version but not the 32-bit.   It's not a question of drivers - Labview is just generating random numbers, not communicating with any kind of hardware.  So I would say the 32-bit actually is "more reliable".

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(908 Views)

Well, I'm glad you found a workaround for it.  (I call it a "workaround" because you shouldn't really have to install a different version of LabVIEW than the w=one you wanted to use.)  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(886 Views)