LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Missing installation files" while installing LabVIEW 2014 (Win7-64 on a VMWare system)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to install LabVIEW 2014 on a VMWare Windows 7 - 64 bit environment, with no luck.

The 3-DVD installation media was downloaded from NI.com, it is the August 2014 release of the Academic Site Licence (ASL), of which my company is a regular, long time subscriber.

(for what is worth, this very same virtual system has been running LV 2012 with no problems whatsoever)

These are the steps I'm following:

- decompress the 3 iso files onto separate directories on the main, virtual drive of this system;

- run setup.exe on the first directory (ie the one containing DVD 1 files)

- enter the ASL serial number

- the installer by default leaves selected just LabVIEW 2014 English and the VI Package Manager, so I expand the ASL Core Software tree to add NIDAQmx 2014, and I also select NI Device Drivers - August 2014

- I accept the various licence agreements

- I select "I am not the end user" to defer activation

The installer continues but almost immediately warns me saying it was impossibile to install "NI Customer Experience Improvement Program", I choose Yes to continue and then I see a system dialog showing files/paths that do not actually exist on the DVD 1 directory, hence the obvious "missing installation files" error message. If I ignore this message, many other dialogs of the same kind appear.

By the way I already did various searches but, as of now, it doesn't seem a popular issue at all.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,073 Views)

I would try to download the non-ISO installers and give those a try.  That has worked for me on LabVIEW 2014 VMWare virtual machines.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,064 Views)

On my subscriber's download page, given by NI, there doesn't appear to exist such a choice unfortunately. It's iso or nothing.

And worst of all, this "Fall 2014" subscription update/release is the first one that contains LV 2014 (which is required due to the newest CompactRIO system that I have to test not being compatible with earlier versions) so it's not like I can just try the Spring 2014 download either, since that would give me LabVIEW 2013 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,059 Views)

You could try here to download.  I don't know if anything is different about the academic license but I suspect it is just a different licensing option and not a singificant installer difference.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,053 Views)

I might give that a try, but unfortunately I'm still unsure it would work as a permanent solution, since the ASL "bundle", as you probably have already guessed from the staggering 3 DVDs, offers quite more stuff than just LV 2014 alone.

Thanks again anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,043 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BFD_LNS

Problem solved.

For some weird reasons, WinRAR did NOT extract some files from the first .iso archive (but most of all, it also showed absolutely no error message, leading me to believe everything was fine).

Upon further inspection, I found out about this and did the whole .iso extraction process again, and this time by the way the installer completed flawlessly.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,979 Views)

Just a quick FYI: in VMWare you can link an ISO image on your host as the VM's CD/DVD drive so there is no need to extract anything.  Under a VM's settings: Hardware: CD/DVD there is a connection option to use a physical drive or ISO image file.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,973 Views)

Yeah, I knew about that; it just didn't cross my mind because LabVIEW 2014 was (and, well, still is) supposed to be installed on non-VMWare "clients" as well and so we thought it would be more convenient having the content of the DVDs ready to use.

(by the way, I know there are many utilities that allow you to mount an ISO image on stock Windows, too)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,971 Views)