From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"ERROR PREVIEW GENERATING" while creating Installer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm getting this error when attempting to expand the application in the installer.  However, I am able to preview the built application without errors.  Please see the attached screen shots. Also i have atteched my Vis.I am accuring data using my controller and it has its own Vis for accuring data . i am using labview 2011.

Pl guide to solve thisd issue.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,857 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Rajeshkumarc

i found the mistake and corrected it

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,790 Views)

That message really helped... What did you do to fix it?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,728 Views)

I think what Mike is getting at is, this is a community forum, and others can benefit from your wisdom if you post details on how you solved the problem.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 9
(2,721 Views)

Thanks Bill for intervening, I'm feeling much better now...

In any case, what I have found out (despite NI's tech support being down with computer problems) is that this code indicated a very non-specific problem - roughly equivalent to telling the doctor that you feel "icky". So that being the case, perhaps this thread can over time serve to collect all the issues that can cause it.

A couple things to try:

• Mass Compile the code and retry building everything
  • Make sure you don't have any VIs with names the same as something that could be built into shipping LV code.
  • Go though the project and make sure there are no conflicts or missing files ANYWHERE. Even if the problematic files are not included in what you are trying to do, they can apparently still cause problems.

I tried all those things with no help, so now what I found for myself:

I initally assumed that the build I was trying to install was good. After all, the build run to completion with no errors, and the built code worked as advertised. So on a hunch I tried turning on the logging function in the build to see if anything seemed strange or out of place. What I found was that in the initial build I was using one control that existed in a library that was associated with a cRIO target in the project. So I moved the control to a library not associated with the RT target and again rebuilt the code - again without errors; and again functional. This time however, the installer build also worked!

Hopefully someone who understands the insides of the installer builder can explain this -- as for me I am befuddled...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 5 of 9
(2,711 Views)

Thanks a lot Mike!  Smiley Very Happy  I have exactly the same issue as the OP so I'm going to try some of your excellent advice when I get in on Monday morning.  I almost missed this thread.  I did a search for "Installer Can't Generate Preview Error" and got nothing useful but when I tried "Installer Can't Generate Preview Error -1" I found this thread at the top.  Ironically Error -1 is undefined so I have no idea how it made a difference in the search. Smiley Frustrated

My VI does include drivers for a GPT-9804 electrical safety tester so I bet there's some weirdness in the naming or file structure.  At least I can go have a beer and enjoy the weekend since I have an idea what to do next week...

Thanks Again and Kudos to You!

Keith

EDIT:  BTW, once I determine specifically what went wrong I'll post the details.  This is a frustrating error that needs better documentation. Smiley Mad

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,603 Views)
Make sure your LabVIEW development system is updated to the latest patch, I think I remember LV 2013 f1 including something that fixed issues with generating previews.
Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,593 Views)

Thanks Craig.  I'm almost positve I'm running 2013 f2 but I'll check it.  Taking another snow day today here up north of Boston but I'll be looking into the issue tomorrow morning...

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,561 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

Thanks Bill for intervening, I'm feeling much better now...

I think your first response was appropriate.  In any case here is some unoffical forum guidelines which mention this situation, under the marking solutions section.

• If you figured out the solution on your own, don't post back saying "never mind I figured it out".  Other might have a similar problem, and would like to know what you did to solve the issue.  If you found the solution to your own question, not posting it is selfish.

As to the original question, I never had much luck in report generation.  In the few times I was curious and tried the feature, it would often take several minutes, which would be the majority of the time it would take to actually build the EXE.  And several times it would take a few minutes to tell me there was an error.  So I just don't waste my time with it.  If it has improved in the years then maybe I should try it again some time.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,553 Views)