From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cannot use a variable node of this type on this target"

Alright, I just upgraded to LV-RT 8.0 and a PCI-7041/6040E.  I tried creating a sample RT project, just to see how it works.  The "target" VI, however, has a broken arrow, and is "not in a deployable state": all the shared variable nodes that LabVIEW automatically creates (as well as any I try to make myself) are "illegal" because I "cannot use a Variable Node of this type on this target."  Why?  After hours in the Support pages, and various different configurations of RT project, I have yet to find any sort of indication of what the restrictions are on Variable Nodes, and how they at all relate to the type of RT target I'm using.  Certainly, one would think that the program-generated VIs would work, no assembly required.  I already know that you have to manually install bootup software on the 7041, instead of it coming pre-configured to be simply inserted and used; what other post-installation setup is required in order to be able to actually make use of Variable Nodes?

Driver version: Feb '06
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,087 Views)
You are probably getting that message for one of two reasons:

1) You are trying to use network-published variables.  They aren't supported on the PCI-7041.
2) You are using a single-process variable, but the VI you are referencing it from is under a different target than the variable. 

Greg
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,081 Views)
Alright, problem solved now.  You basically can't have a host VI in a 7041 project.  That can be worked around, I think.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,065 Views)