From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Call Library Function" absent from performance profiling

Hello,

I'm trying to optimize my VI execution time by using the "Profile Performance and Memory" window.

The VI takes 25 sec to run, however the profiler reports something like 25 ms, if I understand correctly.

I know the 25 sec includes all other processes on the CPU. However I highly suspect a lot of time is spent in 3rd party DLL functions I use, which read and write files, among other things.

The problem is that the "Call Library Function" nodes do not appear in the profiler window at all! My questions:

1) Why don't clf nodes appear?

2) Is there some way to inspect the time spent in the DLL functions?

Note: There is a related (unanswered) post from 2009 here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Profile-performance-of-a-VI-using-DLL/m-p/888833#M401525

Thanks

Itay.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,069 Views)

I recommend taking the simple approach - put a millisecond timer function before and after the call to the DLL, and subtract. I suspect that CLFNs do not appear in the profiler because LabVIEW hands off execution to the DLL and can't monitor the internals of what the DLL is doing. LabVIEW has no way to know how much memory the DLL allocates nor how much processor time the DLL uses.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,045 Views)