cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Arduino TTL serial to Windows (LabVIEW VISA)"

Solved!
Go to solution

QUick Q for the forum.

I assume serial TTL output from Arduino can be read and written directly by LabVIEW but I am not sure if this is the case when using TTL serial on the arduino.

I realize it is possible to talk to arduino via its secondary(or primary) serial port , the one that sets itself up as a virtual com port the way a USB to serial converter would and uses a USB cable. This is fine.

But what about talking to the board directly? 

If I wish to set up Arduino to loop waiting for input on its ttl serial input line how would I connect to it fromthat to my Windows and then LabVIEW?

Do I have to worry about the interface levels out of the PC's serial port? Can I just connect TX RX and ground from the serial port directly to the Arduino TTL serial input?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,135 Views)

I think I just found the answer to my question. It looks to be a solid NO without some form of buffering the interface levels is done.

Windows PC's apparently put out  +-12V on the serial line.

Its not a show stopper but I was kind of hoping it would be a little easier to do this.

Has anyone attempted to make a psuedo serial connection to arduino using a bit bang technique (as in digital I/O) ?

If you have any code Id .love to see it.

Thanks again..

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,133 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AKA_TG

Easiest thing, IMHO, would be to use a TTL-level USB-serial adapter. Something like this: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=RS-232-WE

Otherwise, a search for RS-232 level shifting circuits should show a number of options, ranging from IC's meant for the task to simple discrete component circuits.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,126 Views)

Thank You MarkMoss!

That link seems to be exactly what I need.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,010 Views)