cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

project: items > structure of VIs

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have converted a 2009 project in 2014. Now I have new and adpated VIs located in the same structure where the Main.vi is. I can't find an info how to change that. I'd like to have all VIs under the Main.vi in the Dependencies folder. Is that possible?

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,133 Views)

Why do you want them to be in the Dependencies? 

Generallay this is handled by creating a folder (Example: Sub VI) in the same folder where the Main VI resides and add the VIs to it.

For your question: If you want any of the item to be added in the dependencies, make sure that it is called by some VI in the project then delete it. Now it automatically appears on the Dependencies.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,116 Views)

I thought the adapted/new VIs should not be in the same structure like the Main.vi. Yes, all VIs above are Sub VIs and have callers. I can't delete any VI - I only have the possibility to "remove from project". But this is not working like you suggested with delete.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,108 Views)

Its a way of maintaining the code in the project. Personally I use Auto Populating folders in the same Hierarchy as the main VI, so when I save any VI inside that it will automatically be updated into the folder. So on the top level you will only have the main VI which looks neat and easy to understand. I am not completely clear with what you meant Adapted/New VI. Are they same? You mean the Adapted VI are the ones you converted from 2009 and New VIs are the one you created directly in 2014 version? In any case both doesn't make any difference when you perform a mass compile, but you can still hold it differently for your reference.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,098 Views)

I converted the WHOLE project from 2009 in 2014. Then I adapted some VIs in 2014. The adaption is eg deleting some functions from an old VI but the old VI still needs to be there. So, I made a save as of the old VI and adapted the copied one. The copied one is now in the same structure like the Main.vi. I don't have auto-populated folder (I know that from training) BUT it's a 2009 Labview project and there weren't these folder available I guess. If it doesn't matter for structure etc., I can leave it like yet. I only wasn't sure about that and asked.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,090 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Susanne1709

Don't use auto-populating folders.  I've never used them, and the comments by most experts I read on the forums say they only cause problems.

If the VI is called by another VI, just remove the item from the project.  It will then show up under dependencies because it is called somewhere in the VI hierarchy.

Message 6 of 8
(3,049 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

If the VI is called by another VI, just remove the item from the project.  It will then show up under dependencies because it is called somewhere in the VI hierarchy.

I did that, closed the project, opened it again and tried to run the main.vi. Now I get this error in NI_ReportGenerationTollkit.lvlib: Set Current Font.vi

"One or more of the set of VIs which this dynamic dispatch subVI or property item may call are broken. Each LabVIEW class may own a VI with the same name as a VI owned by the parent of the class or older ancestor. The dynamic dispatch subVI or property item will call one of these VIs, chosen when the subVI or property item actually executes. If any of the VIs are broken, then this subVI or property item also is broken."

I didn't do anything in this VI. Some idea? Thank God I have a backup 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,042 Views)

I found it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,039 Views)