LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programming smartphone with labview

Solved!
Go to solution

is it possible to run programes i wrote in labview on a smartphone?(android/iphone/new windows 8?)

is it possible to programe a smartphone at all with labview?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,029 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author idan7*9

Your questions have been asked before several times. Please do a search before asking a question to see if it has already been covered or partially answered.

In terms of your questions:

No

and

no.

The LabVIEW Embedded Module was made to work with Windows Mobile, but not Windows Phone (what Mobile was turned into). Several ideas exist in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange regarding this. NI is (supposedly) working on these, but have not announced anything. In the meantime you can try using something like this:https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-19387 or perhaps this: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210042

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,990 Views)

This is pretty disappointing.

We'd like to develop a diagnostic tool that would work on a PC or smartphone.

I can build the PC side no problem but we will have to employ a software development team to replicate my application on a smartphone......

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,702 Views)

Hi Sean,

don't you check the abilities of your IDE and the availabity for different platforms before starting to program a tool deployed to those platforms?

Such questions should be part of (early) planning stage, instead of asking them in the roll-out phase…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,697 Views)

Hi GerdW

Don't you read what is posted Smiley Wink

"We'd like to develop a diagnostic tool that would work on a PC or smartphone."

I agree completely with you. We are at the early stage, (assessing the job) and it looks like we will have to use a different language.

I would like to use LabVIEW, even if there was a roadmap so that I could say, in 6 months we will be able to port to android.

Rgds,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,689 Views)

Hi Sean,

I read, but English isn't my first language. I missed the "like"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,681 Views)

If the UI is just about showing and sending some values Data Dashboard might be enough, and would automatically work on all 3 phone platforms.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,661 Views)

There is not a single development environment out there that will create applications that will work on PCs (Win, Mac, Linux), and iOS, Android and Windows Phone. LabVIEW does the PC side quite well with all current major platforms being supported. iOS and Android are another story and if you want to target Windows Phone you are pretty quickly locked into the Microsoft way of life, which only supports to create applications for Windows and Windows Phone.

So changing development tools is probably not likely to give you a solution that will fill all requirements, and changing the requirements is the only way to go forward.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 8 of 14
(4,622 Views)

Yamaeda,

The smart phone must communicate with our device over usb, so a remote login to another PC will not really do the job.

Rolf,

Wouldn't it be great if NI could offer a cross platform development model that would include mobile phones too?  Even if it was only android, I can't imagine it would be that hard to port from linux to android.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,611 Views)

@SeanJ wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if NI could offer a cross platform development model that would include mobile phones too?  Even if it was only android, I can't imagine it would be that hard to port from linux to android.

That's unfortunatly not so trivial. Android does use a Linux Kernel but everything else is very different. For one it does not use an X Windows system for its user interface handling (your smart phone would be pretty unresponsive if they did  Smiley Very Happy). But the LabVIEW interface to the platform UI library (GDI on Windows, Carbon on Mac OS 32 bit, Cocoa on Mac OS 64 bit, X Windows for Linux) is probably one of the most complex subsystems in LabVIEW. Each of these systems works in many ways quite differently and LabVIEW uses for each of them its own fairly complex Windows manager abstraction layer that translates the different systems into one that the rest of the LabVIEW code can rely upon to be working on all platforms in the same way. Developing such a system for Android would be really a major development effort from scratch and not just a simple recompile at all.

Also native applications (C/C++ compiled) for GUI (most GUI applications run as JAVA code in the Dalvik engine) are a recent addition with still several limitations to what they can do on the Java side.

Another issue is the locked in distribution of executables on all smartphone platforms (and soon to be Windows 9 too). You basically have to have a market account to upload your finished application if you do not want users to have to put their devices into debug mode for local application installation through a rather complicated to setup local link or God beware even have them to have to root their device.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 10 of 14
(4,603 Views)