LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programming smartphone with labview

Solved!
Go to solution

"There is not a single development environment out there that will create applications that will work on PCs (Win, Mac, Linux), and iOS, Android and Windows Phone"

I wouldn't call it a competitor with LabVIEW, but there is...  MONKEY! Good for a bunch of stuff including writing X platform games.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(574 Views)

Indeed not like LabVIEW. You need to have also a seperate compiler tool for every platform you want to target, since monkey only translates its code into a platform specifc intermediate code. An interesting approach but one with its own drawbacks and problems.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(552 Views)

As someone who has used Monkey, I couldn't agree more with your comments, rolf.

I believe our friend LabVIEW does something similar, at least for FPGA applications- IIRC there is intermediate VHDL (or Verilog?) being generated, albeit graciously concealed behind the scenes.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(524 Views)

Yes it does translate everything to VHDL since that is about the only input that the Xilinx tools accept to create the actual bitfile from. There is a lot of work in the LabVIEW to VHDL translation layer. It's very complex despite not having to deal with any form of GUI drawing. Doing the same for let's say a LabVIEW to Android Java translater would be even more complex as there would be not only the programming logic that needs to be translated, which is complex but with a finite complexity, but also the whole UI handling which is again an order of magnitude more involved and potentially with infinite possibilitities of complexity if they wouldn't limit the UI objects and styles extremely.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(516 Views)