From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programming for hardware you don't actually have (yet)

I'm writing a Labveiw program which has some digital inputs and outputs and some analog. I have a card in my machine which has some digital, but no analog. This was ok up until now because I hadn't implemented the part of the program that needed to aqire data from the analog input, but now I put them in and since I don't actually have any hardware my program won't run.

The way I'm trying to do this is using a DAQmx Read, then when I eventually want to use the program all I will have to do is change the task/channel wired to each DAQmx read or write to map the hardware channels to my controls. While I develop though, I don't currently care what those are mapped to or what the read, I just need the program to run. So all my digital outputs I just have mapped to the same channel basically, but is there anything I can do about the analog inputs to fool labview into thinking an analog channel actually exists?

what do people normally do when writing a program for some hardware they don't yet have?

Bjorn
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,200 Views)
IF the acquire functionality can be placed inside a case statement, use a boolean input to the case to choose between acquiring or simulating data.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,185 Views)
Ultimately, it breaks down to what range of data you would get receiving from you AI. If you know the range, just use a random number generator to generate numbers within the range and program away. Think of it as a data-flow stub, if you will. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,173 Views)