LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programmatically controlling strings in typedef enum

Hi there,

on an user interface I want to offer a typedef enum as a pulldown menu to select plugins that are dynamically loaded from a subdirectory. Whenever a new plugin is copied into this directory, the enum menu shall be updated automatically. Yes, I have already searched the forum and found an older thread where they write that enums cannot be altered programmatically. Isn't there really any workaround?

See the attached example vi. I want to use the enum instead of a ring menu because with the typedef enum the case structures are automatically extended if the enum itself grows.

Any hint on how to program such "auto update features" most elegantly?

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,296 Views)

Hi Peter,

i think it is not possible in this way. Who should insert the new function into your case structure? Smiley Happy
Use a combobox/ring and an event strucure. If the user change the value of the combobox/ring, build the path to the selected vi.

See the attached example.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 06-02-2008 02:03 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,293 Views)

Hi Peter,

If you include the enum and all of its dependent code in the "plug-in" then you should be able to update your enum at the devlopment time of the plug-in and it gets deployed with everything else.

Since you want to use the enum of the FP, then dynamically loading the FP that holds the enum into a sub-panel will le thte GUI adapt with the plug-in updates.

Just throwing out ideas,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,280 Views)