LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem connecting pxi-8145RT

I have a Labview RT system configured on a PXI-8045RT embedded controller, mounted on a PXI-1002 chassis. The other device on the system is a PXI-6052E I/O.
The connection to the host PC is via crossover cable(the host pc is not connected to a network and running with windows 98).
When I open up Labview and try to select this controller as the execution target, I get an error that says "Failed to connect to RT engine. Returning to target selection".
So my question is what software, if any do i need to install on the pxi-system. Is there any jumper settings that prevent the software to be downloaded and what are the correct network settings (in the Measurement & Automation explorer) for that type of connection.

We will be greatfull for
any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,839 Views)
Hello,

I'm not sure if this applies to Windows 98 but it would definitely be worth checking. Windows 2000 requires you to disable DHCP in order to connect through a crossover cable. See the following KB for more info on how to do this: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/72AE8CADA1AF075686256A16005D55B1?OpenDocument

Your question implies that you can see your PXI RT device in MAX under Remote Systems. If that is the case, with your hw combination you need to have the following software installed on the PXI RT device:

- LabVIEW Real-Time
- NI-DAQ
- NI-VISA

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Yusuf C.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,839 Views)
Dear Yusuf C.
Thank you for your answer , but i still have the same problem , DHCP is disabled ,the host PC is set with static IP (also the computer is not connected to the netwotk). I am able to see PXI-RT device in MAX under Remote Systems , and able to set an IP adress (I used 100.100.100.100 and subnet 255.255.0.0 also i tried to set the same IP as the host PC) and able to boot the PXI-RT (also using MAX).
there are two problems:
1.When I try to install sofrware on the PXI-RT i get a error message: "Time out while wating for remote system to reboot"
2.When I open up Labview and try to select PXI-RT as the execution target, I get an error that says "Failed to connect to RT engine. Returning to target selection" (maybe after i will intall software this
problem will be solved).

Again greatfull for any suggestions.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,839 Views)
Hello,

I have a few questions for you in order to make further suggestions:

- What are the versions of your LabVIEW & RT, MAX?
- Does it seem like the software is loaded before you get the time out error? or do you get the error right away?
- Is the RT device really rebooting like expected?
- Is the USER1 LED on 8145 blinking?
- Is it feasible to configure the 8145 on the network for testing purposes (in stead of through a crossover cable)?

LabVIEW problem will disappear once the controller is configured properly with the right software.

Best regards,

Yusuf C
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,839 Views)
Hello
the software versions are:
LabView 7.0
LabView RT module 7.0
Max 3.0
- if i use MAX to reboot the device rebooting without any problems.
- when i try try install the software on the device, the device stopes responding , and the status is changed from "running" to "installing" , at this point to restore to "running" a had to reset manualy.
- USER1 LED is not blinking.
- it can take some time but it is feasible to connect via network.

thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,839 Views)
Hello Yusuf C,
Thank you for your answer and alow me to correct myself:
- Both jumpers are set to "Norm".
- On start(or after reboot) 4 leds are on (and not blinking) "Power ok" , "10/100" , "USER2 " , "USER3".
The system state is: "Connected-Running".
- When a error accurs , "Power Ok" led is on and "USER1" led is blinking 3 times every 2-3 seconds.
For all the errors.
- The correct text of the error (when trying to install software) is "Timed out while wating for remote system to Reboot. Installation failed."
and the system state as shown in MAX is "Connected - Install Mode"
- After the error, if i try to install the software again i get an error "Network communication error while trying to communicate to the remote devi
ce. Error 12029."
- Reboot using MAX after an error is succesful.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,838 Views)
Hello,

The user manual for 8145 states the following for the USER1 LED blinking 3 times every few seconds

• If this LED blinks three times every 2–3 seconds, you have flipped the safe mode switch, causing the box to go into safe mode regardless of whether it could otherwise boot.

Make sure to set the S2 jumper to normal mode (vs. safe mode).

Regards,

Yusuf C.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,838 Views)
Hello Yusuf C,
The two Jumpers are set to Normal mode, the problem is still there.

DimaG
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,837 Views)
Hello,

I would format the controller back to factory settings and reconfigure it from scratch through a regular network instead of a crossover cable.
If you are still having problems it might be due to a hardware problem, which may require an RMA. Contact National Instruments Technical Support to initiate the RMA process over the phone.

Best regards,

Yusuf C
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,837 Views)
Hello Yusuf C,
Thank you for your help.
The problem was with the network configuration (in MAX).
The correct IP address , subnet mask and gateway had to be configured in order to have proper comunnication with the RT.

Again thank you for your help
DimaG.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,837 Views)