cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

print front panel but no graphics

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings all,

I am printing a repair ticket to a system printer by use of the VI configuration "automatically print front panel every time VI completes execution."  I had a problem where at the end of the print it was issuing a form feed, but that was using a default driver.  I downloaded the printer drive installed it and "Presto chango!!!!  problem solved!!!!!!"  Now what I am running into is that it prints the contents of the control, but it also prints the border for the control through a bunch of little dots (dot matrix impact printer).  Any suggestions as to how I can get this to print only the text?

Thanks for your assistance,

Mike

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,097 Views)

"Automatically print front panel every time VI completes execution" prints a graphic of the front panel.  You're getting what you're asking for.  If you want to only print the text you'll have to create a report format of some kind and print send that to the printer.

Altenately, I suppose you could make all your controls and indicators transparent,  Maybe then you'd only see the text.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,091 Views)

That is another avenue I tried to go down but was not successful.  Will follow up with that.  is NI-Spy part of Labview?  I tried to invoke that but didn't see it.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,071 Views)

NI-Spy used to come with LabVIEW.  I don't see it any more but I do see NI IO Trace, which might do the same thing.  I haven't tried it.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,065 Views)

For reference:

KnowledgeBase 5O0E85Q7: Why is NI Spy Now Named NI I/O Trace?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/35FB4F8147512A23862578DF006EEE72

I'm not sure that it's relevant to the issue at hand, though- are you trying to include driver calls in your printout?

As Lynn said, print on completion will print the entire front panel as-is.  If you don't want the border to appear it needs to be transparent, colored to match the background, or outside the bounds of the front panel. 

Regards,

Tom L.
Message 5 of 15
(3,054 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MikeBowen

If the border is truly transparent, it will not be printed. Attach the VI.

What are you trying to use I/O Trace for?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,053 Views)

I was trying to see what commands the VI was sending to the printer.  This is the latest of the VI.

Mike
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,040 Views)

What I am getting is some dots on the top and left side.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,037 Views)

Of course you are. The control is not completely transparent. Use the paint tool to change it. Be sure the click on the actual border. You will also probably need to click the space bar to toggle between foreground and background. It would have been easier to start with the simple string control on the classic palette.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,029 Views)

I'm not having alot of luck with that.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,020 Views)