LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powerpoint

Does anyone know hot to extract comments (or anything else for that matter) from a ppt file using LV? Using ActiveX I am able to get  the presentation title, and the number of slides but cannot figure out a way to extract or export anything, the error says it is not allowed. LV71 and XP.

Thanks, Rick
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,029 Views)

Hi Rick,

I figured out how to save images of all the slides of a PP file onto disk (see attached).

I didn't manage to save a single slide nor to pass it in a direct way to LV, please let me know if you got any progress:-),

Mel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,984 Views)
Hey Rick and Mel,
It took some digging around but I eventually found it :-). I'm attaching a VI that will get the notes on a page given the file name and the slide number (slide numbers start at 1).

Hope this answers your question.

Jack J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,957 Views)

Ya, probably this could be helpful for Rick!

However, I managed to search for text labels on a given slide, but didn't manage to transfer back to LV any of the pictures on that slide. I know how to copy a slide contect into the clipboard, and I know how to paste bitmap format from the clipboard to LV, but probably PP doesn't copy using bitmap format, which is why I did not manage to close the loop.

Any advice on this one?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,946 Views)
I looked through the OLE/ActiveX components that are part of PowerPoint and couldn't find anything that might do what you are talking about. I'm not even sure if it is possible since, like you said, PowerPoint might be storing the information in its own format that may not be interpreted by LabVIEW. It might be a good idea to throw this idea out in a VBasic or C++ forum to see if anyone has done it, since it is just ActiveX, it will be easy to translate the solution to LabVIEW.

BTW, can you tell me what is the end purpose of this application? Maybe we can find another way to accomplish the task.

Regards,

Jack J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,928 Views)

Hey, Thanks alot you guys. It is not so much an application as something I just thought should be easy. I was trying to put the notes from a large ppt file into a text file using LV. Small procrastination side project.

This brings up one of my gripes about ActiveX (or.NET for that matter): The help is not part of LV, and our development machines are not on-line.

I really appreciate the help, thanks again.

Rick

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,913 Views)