LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible BUG in subvi

Solved!
Go to solution

I'd vote for "bug" because there shouldn't be a way to create an icon that you can't click on in the BD.  Of course, the minute you fix it, someone will complain that they can longer make an unselctable subVI!

The fix could be as simple as diabling the save button until there is at least one pixel in the icon.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(1,175 Views)
so I think we can regard it as Bug for report
yes?
any body have an other idea about it ?
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(1,154 Views)

Throwing Caution to the Wind (fortunately, I have Subversion to get me out of any jams), I opened a modest-sized Project (about 20 VIs and a half-dozen TypeDefs) and "invisibled" one of my VI.  I tried Blokk's suggestion of Viewing the Hierarchy to find it.  This actually worked, but even with such a small Project, it took me a while (20 seconds?) looking back and forth to find the "empty Rectangle".

When I found it, I tried right-clicking and doing a "Find All Instances".  Not only did it find all of the "invisible VIs" in my Project (everything was in Memory), but the Search Results also told me the name of this "Invisible VI", allowing me to find it in the Project and "fix" its visibility "problem".

I don't want to get into semantic arguments about "Is this a Bug?", but it is surely "inconvenient" to have a VI on the Block Diagram that cannot (easily) be selected.

Bob Schor

Message 13 of 22
(1,150 Views)

Yep, I do not think this is a real bug, we could call it "corner case" 🙂 But English is not my first language... With this thinking we could call a bug when you get accidentally two subVIs placed exactly on top of each other, so you think you have only a single instance: once caused me some hours of headache in my early times in the world of LV when I was less aware of the different debugging techniques... LV lets you place two subVIs on top of each others: is this also a bug then, hmm? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(1,135 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Yep, I do not think this is a real bug, we could call it "corner case" 🙂 But English is not my first language... With this thinking we could call a bug when you get accidentally two subVIs placed exactly on top of each other, so you think you have only a single instance: once caused me some hours of headache in my early times in the world of LV when I was less aware of the different debugging techniques... LV lets you place two subVIs on top of each others: is this also a bug then, hmm? 🙂

I'm not sure I would call it a "corner case".  I've had it where I cleared the icon and then thought I was typing in the text box, pressed return only to have it save the icon as empty.  At this point, you can't even double-click the icon to open the editor.

But then again, this might speak more about my typing skills than anything else.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(1,114 Views)
the topic of this question is not how to solve this problem I Know the methods to solve this problems
this topic is to discuss about that is this bug or not
this is wiki page about what is Software_bug
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(1,083 Views)

Well, I can find more interesting things in LabVIEW than discussing whether this behaviour is a bug or not 🙂 Will I ever face this behaviour in LabVIEW? Not. Either we call this a bug or not will not change anything...

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(1,079 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Well, I can find more interesting things in LabVIEW than discussing whether this behaviour is a bug or not 🙂 Will I ever face this behaviour in LabVIEW? Not. Either we call this a bug or not will not change anything...

I do not find this problem with inspiration
I encountered with  this problem in one of my project and  it  is possible it happen for other one again 
also it could be a method for  misuse for example any  one can hide part of vi behind other vi for time that he had to give his code
at the end  if this issue is not interesting thing for you  why you just involve in to answer for several time ! ?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(1,070 Views)

@Hatef.fouladi wrote:

@Blokk wrote:

I do not find this problem with inspiration
I encountered with  this problem in one of my project and  it  is possible it happen for other one again 
also it could be a method for  misuse for example any  one can hide part of vi behind other vi for time that he had to give his code
at the end  if this issue is not interesting thing for you  why you just involve in to answer for several time ! ?

Could not understand some of your sentences, but anyway you misunderstood me 🙂 The problem itself was interesting, that is why I had a look and I realized you can easily spot "invisible" VIs in the hierarchy window. What I do not find interesting is to debate about whether this is a bug or not...

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(1,058 Views)

sorry Blokk if any misunderstood happen about your means
Indeed I want to know if I report it as a bug to NI for fix the problem or not it is not worthy to report and it is not bug to fix
I had one bug report before
bug
but for this one and some others I have doubt to report it as bug to NI or not

I decide to make topic  about them to know other friends opinion about them in NI forum 

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,045 Views)