From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

png to 2D picture "ugly" result

Solved!
Go to solution

First of all, sorry about I cannot define my problem better, but I am really not familiar with graphics handling, and picture transforming, so I can only say the result is ugly 🙂

I have a simple example png file, created from a vector graphic svg file, using Inkscape. Size of the png is 300 x 200, dpi: 270.

My problem is that, I would like to present this png picture on my front panel in good quality, in a 2D picture indicator. When I do this, the result looks "ugly" or "pixellized". Is there a way to display such png file in LV with a better quality (I have LV 2015 Pro 32bit, but no IMAQ and other similar toolkits available)? If I have a look at this png file using for example Irfanview, even after some zoom in, the picture looks good and "smooth".

Right now I use this simple way to load the png into the 2D Picture indicator:

UserInterfaceEventPattern 3_BD.png

I have also attached the png file for reference.

Edit:

when I compare the LV and Irfanview results (left is LV):

comparison.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,296 Views)

As a workaround I just decided to use a picture ring, since for this project I have a predefinied static list of png pictures. Looks very sharp and nice 🙂

Anyway, I am also still interested how to display a png in a 2D picture indicator with good resolution...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,258 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

I take your png and fill white background.
There is result (bottom img):

2png.png

Message 3 of 7
(4,241 Views)

Please attach the VI, or snippet.

"fill white background" How? Programmatically?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,232 Views)

Ok, i got it!

It looks like LabVIEW cannot handle png files with transparent background good. I have changed the transparent background to white using an image editor, and I get good result after importing to 2D Picture indicator.

Thanks, lesson learned 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,216 Views)

Blokk a écrit :

It looks like LabVIEW cannot handle png files with transparent background good. I have changed the transparent background to white using an image editor, and I get good result after importing to 2D Picture indicator.

Thanks, lesson learned 🙂

There is an interesting thread on this subject,

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,182 Views)
Thanks Ben, indeed interesting! I keep this in my mind if I need to deal with transparent images again.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,170 Views)