LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please wait while Windows configures NI DSC Common Tools

So I let NI Update install a bunch of things over the weekend (only about 18GB of download Smiley Surprised ) among which the LabVIEW DSC 2013 SP1 update. Now every time I startup any of my installed 32 Bit versions of LabVIEW, including the version 2013SP1, I get this lovely Windows installer dialog "Please wait while Windows configures NI DSC Common Tools 2013 SP1". This dialog pops up several times during every start of LabVIEW, I believe about four times before showing the startup splash screen and then another 3 or 4 times until LabVIEW is fully up and running.

Letting those dialogs run or canceling them seems to make no difference at all. Does anybody know what I need to do to fix this annoying problem, short of deinstalling the entire DSC packge?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,393 Views)

Hey Rolf,

The only time I have seen that problem is when there was a problem either with the installer, or an error during the install. I have seen it happen with many different packages, including MS Office.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,306 Views)

Thanks Mike.

I've seen it before after installing the LabVIEW 7.0 Runtime Engine. I have to say that this computer is pretty loaded with all kinds of NI software and other development software. It seems the installer for the LabVIEW 7.0 Runtime and the LabVEW 2013 SP1 DSC Common Tools both stumble over something on this machine that causes some component to not register properly and when then any LabVIEW version is started it attempts to register that component (apparently several times) whenever another component is loaded during LabVIEW initilialization.

I didn't see any errors during the installation of any of those components (but the LabWindows/CVI update that was also downloaded during the NI Update cycle consistently fails during several of its components during install).

Most likely it is some .Net assembly that causes all this trouble, and I loath the lack of any more detailed message that would allow to better pinpoint the actual subcomponent that causes this.

For the time being I simply uninstalled the NI LabVIEW 2013 SP1 DSC Common Tools (and the LabVIEW 7.0 RTE) completely from the machine. Interestingly enough it was not enough to uninstall the entire LabVIEW 2013 SP1 DSC Toolkit but I had to explicitedly go into the downloaded installer and select the MSI file for the DSC Common Tools and select the uninstall option in there to really get rid of these annoying messages during every startup of any 32 bit LabVIEw version on this machine.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,289 Views)