LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

personal information database

@Bob_Schor wrote:

if I wanted a Hotel Reservation System, LabVIEW would not be my first choice ...

If you've only got a hammer, everything is a nail. I'm guilty of this. As an ME background, LabVIEW is really the only language of which I have in-depth knowledge, so I use it a lot. I made a program for my own use at home that parses HTML strings from webpages, updates text file databases, and runs an AutoIt program. Definitely not the best way to do it, but it's what I'm familiar with and I know it'll work.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,066 Views)

Please keep in mind that this is personal data and security should be a prime concern!!!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 12 of 17
(1,053 Views)

Good point Billko.

Personally, I've used the Blowfish Algorithm before to encrypt a data file.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,048 Views)
If we accept that LabVIEW is a general purpose programming language, then using it for a non-hardware application makes as much sense as anything else if that is what you have available. Having 5000 entries is trivial. I've had a system where that number of entries was made every few minutes. Your application can be accomplished with text files, Excel, or a real database. Reading and writing differences between them is going to be measured in milliseconds with something so small. Why worry so much about performance when it's only going to be used 10 times a week?
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,041 Views)

@billko wrote:

Please keep in mind that this is personal data and security should be a prime concern!!!

If I was a customer at this hotel, I would be *very* concerned about my personal information.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,034 Views)

thank you very much for your contribution , that's what  i needed to know , i asked because i didn't have any idea of the time it was going to take to search something , if you say you have tried & was really fast , i don't have more doubts . Thank you all for being so kind, you helped me a lot .

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,032 Views)

Microsoft SQL express has all of the security you will need for data access if set up correctly on a correctly configured network. Use Windows authentication for access, and go to Microsoft's website to see what needs to be done to protect  your data. Granted this is not for the uninitiated, but it isn't too terribly difficult.

Consider taking a good Microsoft SQL class on Lynda.com. This should help out quite a bit.

LabView makes a pretty decent client for programming like this, but you might want to look at Visual Studio and try it in C or Visual Basic.net. Sadly, I spend so much time in LabView anymore that I have to stop and think quite a bit to "climb back into" Dot net, but it is an amazing platform. I just haven't been spending enough time in Visual Studio since 2008.

You could do your client in html with PHP or something similar, but you might want to look into some secure sockets to keep the data safe.

If you want to try it in MySQL look into Mamp (Apple) or Wamp (Windows) to make it easier to set up a test platform. Again Lynda.com probably has some classes on these.

Glad to answer questions. Thanks for any KUDOS or marked solutions 😉
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,011 Views)