cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

peer to peer streaming

Solved!
Go to solution

HI ,

please guide me about data rates for following peer to peer streaming scenarios. assuming peer-peer communication support 800MB/s. Modules used are PXIe-5622, PXIe7966R,NI-8265(not peer-peer supported) and chasis PXIe 1075.

scenario 1: Data is streaming(peer-peer) from PXIe-5622 to two PXIe7966R at same time. all modules are connected through PCIe switch1 ie. slot 2,3,4,5. 

scenario 2: Data is streaming(peer-peer) from PXIe-5622 to two PXIe7966R and also to NI8265(not peer-peer supported)at same time . PXIe-5622, PXIe7966R, modules are connected through PCIe switch1 ie. slot 2,3,4,5 and NI-8265 is connected to slot 18 through PCIe switch 4. 

please tell me what will be data path for both scenarios and is there any role of controller memory for both streaming scenarios? what will be required bandwidths for both scenarios?

if i want to send data from NI-8265 to ethernet how data will flow in following cases.

1. raid to ethernet using controllers ethernet port

2. raid to ethernet using NI 8234( what are benefits of using it?)

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,517 Views)
Solution
Accepted by sine_help

Hello,

Thank you for your questions.  Here are the answers to your scenarios:  

Scenario 1:  The data will pass directly through P2P and will not route through the controller, the data will route across the switch.  The required bandwidth would be determined by the rate of your acquisition but the switch should not be the limiting factor when it comes to bandwidth.

Scenario 2:  The data path will be the same as Scenario 1 except for the addition of the data being routed from the 5622, through the switch, then through the back plane to the controller, and then to the 8265 via the back plane.  The 1075 has a 1 GB/s per slot bandwidth coupled with a NI PXIe-8133 controller (2 GB/s per slot bandwidth) would allow for constant streaming.  

If you want to send data from your 8265 through ethernet using the first scenario data will travel from the 8265, along the backplane, to the controller, then through the controller's ethernet port.  

The second scenario provides no additional benefit because the limiting factor will not be the controller's ethernet port output speed but the speed of the TCP/IP data transfer its self.  The data flow however would be from the 8265, through the back plane, to the controller, from the controller, through the back plane, and out the 8234.  

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Regards,

Marcus 

Marcus M.
PXI Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,485 Views)