LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of memory

Hello All,

I am developing a medium sized application consisting of 2 windows, one for graphing and the other for file replay. 1 file of typically 35MB can load ok and a second also loads ok, but when a third is loaded the machine will often lock up, get laggy. I noticed laptops running the code will lockup with 2 files loaded.

I used Task Manager to look at what going on and noticed the memory is almost full when the code runs. The CPU usage is acceptable, typically 60% when loading and 10% when the code is idle.

PC is                    intel i5-4440 3.1GHz

OS                        windows 8.1 64 bit

memory              8GB ram

Next is a list of how Task Manager shows the memory filling up:

available                                                       7.9 GB

Only Windows running                            1.8 GB

Labview IDE loaded                                2.0 GB

Labview Project loaded                          2.1 GB

Software loaded                                       2.2 GB

Software started (idle)                              3.2 GB

Software with 2 x 35MB files loaded     6.6 GB

I appears I have used up all of the memory, I notice a big memory hit when I start the code, and then loading files causes memory usage to escalate away. Ive already looked at trying to make my code more memory efficient but timing showed its already ok. I'd appreciate some advice, first thoughts are... will a recompile flush saved data? I pinpointed the 5 vis that cause the 3.2 to 6.6 GB jump just after loading the files (would dynamic loading help?). I noticed that once a vi executes its memory usage sits theres consuming space which isnt recovered until labview is closed.

Should I try using 'Dynamically Loading vis' as I understand dynamic execution loads the vi + memory space, does the work then drops itself and memory used from available memory freeing it up for other stuff. If dynamic loading is the solution are there any good 'how to dynamic load vis' on the net, please?

I am not sure if ive understood this problem correctly if not please correct me.

Advice appreciated

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,730 Views)

You seem to have some pretty inefficient code in terms of processing your 35MB files. It's not really possible in LabVIEW to avoid data copies when operating on data but a 35MB file causing an increase of 1.6GB of memory consumption is almost certainly optimizable even if you convert those 35MB data from an int16 representation to a double precsion representation on loading.

Without seeing the processing that is done with these 35MB files it is however impossible to indicate any feasable amount of memory you would at least need.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,727 Views)
When you say graphing, you aren't actually trying to graph 35M of data are you. Because what you can actually see is limited by your video resolution, you will never be able to plot anywhere near that amount of data.

Can we see any of the code?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,657 Views)

Hi Chris,

As has been mentioned, it is quite difficult to figure out what is taking up your memory without seeing your code so if you post that up that would be interesting to see. 

For an example of programmatically loading VI's, please view the following link.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9282BA6C907DF5B2862572480069E570

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nigel Chan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,615 Views)