LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oscillioscope and function generator

Hello,

How difficult is it too create a virtual oscillioscope and a function generator that outputs through ethernet or usb to some NI module (Chassis, analog, digital etc) that will send signals to a circuit? So, basically instead of having an oscillioscope or a function generator, you create a virtual one on labview and can send signals to the circuit in the real world. Is that even possible? And if it is how hard do you think the task would be? 

Thanks in advance for all the input!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,967 Views)

Sounds like a Data Acquisition (DAQ) card to me.  Look up examples of DAQmx.  Sounds like you will want an Analog Input and an Analog Output.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,958 Views)
The software is not that difficult and you can find examples for both. Keep in mind the hardware differences between the typical daq device and a scope. Many of the daq devices have multiple channels but they are muxed while the far fewer channels of a scope are simultaneously sampled. There are other things such as input coupling and selectable input impedance of a scope that might not be available on a daq device. You should also know that NI sells digitizers and function generators that can be used instead of traditional instruments. That is an easy route to take with performance equivalent to traditional instruments. They are not inexpensive but much cheaper usually than the bench type.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,953 Views)

If you're buying hardware - you might want to look at the VirtualBench - it's a scope, multimeter, power supply and function generator all built into one instrument. In addition to using it with a PC/iPad, you can also control it with LabVIEW.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,937 Views)

Well, the PCI/PXI Scope and generator cards (resp. the NI-Scope and FGEN Driver)  already come with simple virtual instruments.

Called NI [FGEN,SCOPE] soft front panel

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/de/nid/13629

It's not even possible, it's already there.

I'm shure the online help files for these virtual instruments (vi 🙂 ) can be found on the ni web.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,928 Views)

The idea is to save cost. That is why I wanted to create a virtual oscilliscope and a function generator. That way I would have minimal cost (Yes the national instrument modules would probably be the most expensive item). The virtual function generator would send signals via digltal/analog output modules to the circuit. 

The virtual oscilloscope would recieve signals from the circuit where I could interpret the signal using some GUI on LabVIEW and have it display on a nice graph on labVIEW GUI.

So, I looked into the virtualbench and it looks great! I might consider it. So, if someone could possible help me weigh on the pros and cons of each option.

Option one being the virtual function generator and virtual oscilloscope

Option two being virtual bench.

Also I'm not exactly sure how the virtual bench works so if someone could explain that too me. Like is it just something you buy and then hook up to the circuit?

I appreciate all your feedback! It is helping me tremendously!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,920 Views)

What is you plan for how these should be used?  If you are just trying to replace a bench oscilloscope and function generator for manual tests, just go with the Virtual Bench.  It requires no development to get it working.  If you are going for an automated system, get a PXI chassis and the PXI digitizer and function generator.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,912 Views)

The application is for testing remotely 

Basically do everything you can currently do when testing, but be able to do it remotely

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,907 Views)

@kenypatel wrote:

The application is for testing remotely 

Basically do everything you can currently do when testing, but be able to do it remotely

What exactly do you mean by "remotely"?  Remote Desktop into a computer that is sitting on a bench with the equipment?  Sending commands to an RT system that is sitting inside of a controlled room?  Sending Death Rays from the International Space Station to cause bits to flip in an FPGA?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,888 Views)

So I happen to have a myDAQ at home and I thought I would try to use it as a scope.  Checkout this video after a 1:30 for a demo of some of this software.  The software it comes with has all the test panels for various instruments for scopes, DMM, function generator, aritrary waveform generator and several others.  The hardware also appears as a normal DAQmx device if you so choose to write your own software.

Honestly it isn't half bad.  Maybe it's because the software mirrors normal scope functionality but I was able to see my signal and understand it, when I had no other hardware that was capable.  It won't replace a desktop scope but it's what I had on hand.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,882 Views)