LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

numeric input

I'm completely new to labVIEW and I was wondering if there was a block in the block diagram that had an input and output.  I'm trying to do some conversion by multiplying an input from the front panel by a numeric constant and then storing that multiplied value into a variable.  I tried using a numeric constant, but that only has an output so I can't store the value into that constant.  Is there a block that I'm missing or what?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,799 Views)
You really need to start with some of the free tutorials. The function that you are missing is the multiply it seems. That's about as basic as you can get.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,795 Views)

@kzeng wrote:

and then storing that multiplied value into a variable.

And what is this variable used for?  Data for the next iteration?  If so, use a shift register.  Otherwise, wire the output to whoever needs it.  But it is really hard to give any real advice without some really good contex.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,777 Views)

Nope nothing is missing.  The block diagram is like the source code (sorta).  So imagine you are in a texted based language.  You just asked if there is a way to display the result of some calculation...in the text source after the application runs.  Well sorta but you'd never want to do that.  You'd want a UI element to display the value in.  So make an indicator on the front panel.  Here is some free training if you want to know more.

NI Learning Center

NI Getting Started

-Hardware Basics

-LabVEW Basics

-DAQ Application Tutorials

3 Hour LabVIEW Introduction

6 Hour LabVIEW Introduction
Self Paced training for students
Self Paced training beginner to advanced, SSP Required
LabVIEW Wiki on Training

Message 4 of 5
(4,753 Views)

@kzeng wrote:

I'm completely new to labVIEW and I was wondering if there was a block in the block diagram that had an input and output.

Yes, most all have both inputs and outputs. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,689 Views)