LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not enough memory

Hi everybody,

i've created a vi to save stored data in a .xls-file. I have the problem that my data are too big and always became the error message: "not enable to run write to spreadsheet file.vi because memory is full". I have a 2 GB memory. I've looked at some answer in the forums, but i couldn't find the help i needed.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Patrick Etoumann
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,938 Views)
Hi Patrick,

in your for loop you do 'Insert into Array' - big problem! Every iteration LabView is forced to create a new array and therefore it needs more memory... After the loop you do a 'Build Array' operation - also requesting for big memory blocks...

First: there's a special chapter in the manual regarding handling big data blocks or search the NI website for this topic. (Maybe you should search for 'huge memory'...)
Later on: instead of 'inserting into array' or 'building array' you should always use 'init array' and 'replace array element' when it comes to huge data sets! Rewrite your code with this in mind!
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,925 Views)

Hi Patrick,

In addition, there is a memory limit on Excel that your likely running into... something like 64k rows by 256 columns...either limit, row or column will run into limiitation, see here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051992911033.aspx

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,919 Views)
Excel only allows a maximum of 65,000 lines. I think I recall getting that
"not enough memory" error when I tried to open a file longer than 65,000
lines with Excel.

I, then, used Microsoft Access which is a genuine database program. I
believe it's limit is 1 million lines.

Leno

"etoumann" <x@no.email> wrote in message
news:1174317008740-493812@exchange.ni.com...
> Hi everybody,
> &nbsp;
> i've created&nbsp;a vi to save stored data&nbsp;in a&nbsp;.xls-file. I
> have the problem that my data are too big and always became the error
> message: "not enable to run write to spreadsheet file.vi because memory is
> full". I have a 2 GB memory. I've looked at some answer in the forums, but
> i couldn't find the help i needed.
> &nbsp;
> Can someone help me?
> &nbsp;
> Thanks.
> &nbsp;
>
>
> Ersatz_ASolutions2.vi:
> http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/236300/1/Ersatz_ASolutions2.vi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,911 Views)
Hi Patrick,

maybe you should consider saving in binary format direct from you 'capture'. Then post condition (analysis) the data afterwards.

A path also to consider is HDF5, there are labview libraries availble to convert you raw data to that format. Also it is possible
to access the data without having Labview installed. Idea for colleagues not familiar with Labview environment.

xseadog.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,910 Views)

Hi Gerd,

thanks for your help. I will try to rewrite my programm. I couldn't find the function 'replace array element', did you mean 'replace array subset'?

Regards

Patrick Etoumann
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,903 Views)
Hi Patrick,

yes 🙂

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 7
(2,893 Views)