From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

norton antivirus and timed loops

I am currently running a timed loop at 100mS with some File I/O in it.  When Norton does it's weekly Virus Scan, the timed loop becomes sporadic.  Is there a way around this without excluding the file location from the scan?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,617 Views)
File IO with or without virus scanning isn't deterministic, so it would be in your best interest to put the File IO functions in a separate non-timed loop. Consider using queues to transmit data from the Timed Loop to the second loop to be written to file. This will buffer your Timed Loop from the perturbations in your system caused by the File IO and virus scans. Hope this helps!
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,602 Views)
Hi,

'some File I/O' every 100ms? Even when excluding your data directory from scanning this may lead to problems!

Modern harddiscs need 10 to 20ms for head positioning (aka seek time). When accessing 2 files in parallel (LabView and Norton!) you need ~40ms just for seeking operations. How much time do you need for your file io? Seeking file, finding write position, writing data, updating file system entries and so on...

I would suggest to redesign file operation!
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 4
(2,601 Views)
@Jarrod S.

"perturbations" -- nice word man!
Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
For those unfamiliar with NBC's The Office, my icon is NOT a picture of me 🙂
0 Kudos