From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no connection after building a stand-alone rt application

Hi everyone

I've currently tried to generate a stand-alone application of one of my RT-VI's. I generated it as a start-up program under the cRIO Build Specs. Now I cannot stop the running program on the cRIO nor can I connect to the device.

What can I do?

cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,088 Views)

Your RT VI is probably consuming all of the available CPU resource on the cRIO which will make it unresponsive. You will need to either try to restart it from MAX with the no-startup-VI option ticked or restart it in safe mode (either from the physical DIP switches / reset button) or from MAX.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,081 Views)

thanks a lot

I'll try it soonSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,075 Views)

Good morning

All my attempts to connect to the cRIO failed. Just in safe mode a restart in MAX was possible and a reboot of the device didn't change the situation. Now I descided to format the targed system. Hope that this will enable me to connect to the device again.

How can I set up a proper stand-alone VI or an executable program that can be used by any other user to operate the cRIO - to use the Software I created? I was following the instructions of NI advices but I couldn't operate the cRIO from my front panel. It just ended up in a "self-running" program on the targed with no access to it anymore...

thanks a lot

cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,044 Views)

Remember at a cRIO program is a free runing program that has no front panel.

A cRIO is a stand-alone computer, that should have its own program.

If you need to talk and control the cRIO you should make a host program that can communicate to the cRIO program.

There are multiple options to make communication between a host program runing on a PC and the cRIO.

What have you done so far?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,025 Views)

I've tried to set up a "Invoke Application property RemotePanel:Open Connection To Server" but I get the error message Error 1346: Labview. Server does not support remote panels"... although I searched for solutions in the internet and I've found the following:

https://lavag.org/topic/6351-crio-wremote-panel/

I also tried to set up the Real-Time CompactRIO Properties for the web server, user access VI server etc. but I am not sure what I've to enter as Debug HTTP Port (Web Service Local Debugging), HTTP port (Remote Panel Server)...I enabled the check marks for Remote Panel Server and Remote front panel...

I also entered the VI-Nabe of my running VI in the "Visible VIs"-field but I didn't know what to enter in the "Browser Access"-List...

The VI Server Protocols are disables

User Access: I entered the IP-Adress of the target in the Target Access List

Since I am not experienced at all in this I have to ask "stupid" questions Smiley Wink

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,016 Views)

As others have said, you need to implement some sort of communication method between the RT executable running on the cRIO and Windows over the network. The fact that you can 'run' an RT VI and have it's front panel displayed and updating is kind of confusing because once you build it into an RT executable it essentially becomes a 'headless' application with no UI. You need to write a VI that runs on Windows and communicates with the cRIO over the network (e.g. using network shared variables, network streams, TCP/IP etc.).

There are examples built into LabVIEW and there is also the 'cRIO Developer's Guide' available here: http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/fullcriodevguide.pdf

You might be able to connect to the RT VI while it's running using remote front panels if it enabled or using 'debug application or shared library' if the VI is configured correctly.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,009 Views)

Hi Sciu,

please also take a look at the LabVIEW Example Projects.

Developer Walkthrough of the RIO Sample Projects - National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/video/2725/en/

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,975 Views)

Hi everyone

thanks for all the suggestions and advices 🙂

have a nice day

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9