LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no I/O assistant indicator data output

Hi there,
have only just started using Labview, so treat me gentlySmiley Wink

I am using I/O assistant to communicate via. serial (Com1) to a smoke meter and can get all values correctly in setup, but only the first will display on an Indicator.

The command I write is LIS (term \r) and I can Query and Parse several times and each returned data is shown correctly (Will display in Value window). I then generate the VI but cannot get more than one to display in the Indicator I created for them.

With just two Query and Parse commands, I ran NI Spy and both sets of values are shown in the appropriate 'Buffers' but still only the first one will display.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,101 Views)

Ooops,

Is very early in the morning here, I meant I am using ' Read and Parse' not Query and Parse,

sorrySmiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,097 Views)

Hi Mexa,

Can you post the vi your having problems with?

Thanks

Hannah
NIUK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,078 Views)
Hi Hannah,
Since this failed, I have tried various methods, even trying to cluster the outputs, but to no avail Smiley Sad

I have attached the vi and th NI Spy log too,

Cheers for your help,
yours,

Mike
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,068 Views)

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what the issue is, as the data is showing up in the instrument i/o assistant. Are you saying that when you run the vi it doesn't pass the value of one of the parameters ('vol' or 'temp corr') into the indicator on the front panel? If this is the case, what happens when you run the vi with execution highlighting on? Or if you probe the wires, can you see the values there?

What is the smoke meter that you are trying to communicate with, do you have a programming manual for this?

Hannah
NIUK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,054 Views)

Hi Hannah,

Yes, the data does show in the i/o assistant, but the second value will not show in the front panel indicator.

I ran in execution highlight and with probes on both outputs, the result is the same. The first output contains the data "Temperature corr.factor : 62548" and this is in the probe as well. But the second probe and indicator remain blank.

The unit is an AVL 415 smoke meter and we do have a manual for it.  When connected via. Hyperterminal and a 'LIS' command sent to it, it responds with -

Temperature corr.factor : 62548
Volume corr.factor *1000:   878
Dead volume [ml]        :    44
Ambient pressure [mbar] :   980
Nominal volume [ml]     :  1000
Sample time [0.1s]      :    60
Number of samples       :     3
Auto Range min.vol. [ml]:   500
Auto Range max.vol. [ml]:  5000
Extended Purge [0.1s]   :     0
Trigger delay [0.1s]    :     0
Tolerance [0.01FSN]     :    20
Printout: normal
Printout: English

(The values might be different, as is another unit) I am using the smoke meter as a practice and wish to check and display the internal parameters quickly. In the I/O assistant I can put multiple 'Read and Parse' after writing 'LIS'. each one returns correct values as above in order. But only the first one is shown on it's indicator.

Hope thats clear?

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,041 Views)

Hi Mike,

mmm, seems very strange!

One thing to check would be to see how LabVIEW works with the lower level vi's, it could be something that has been misinterpreted by the instrument I/O assistant. What you can do is right click on the express vi and select 'open front panel' then this will convert the instrument I/O assistant into the lower level vi's which are used by LabVIEW. This will build a subvi in its place. I would do this and then run this sub vi with execution highlighting on, this will tell you what is read back from the instrument, and what LabVIEW is doing when its parsing the data - which at the moment, it seems like its removing the data from the buffer.

Do this on a copy of your vi, once you've done the 'open front panel' option, you wont be able to return to the configurable express vi in this instance.

Try this and let me know how you get on.

Hannah
NIUK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,029 Views)

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your time, is appreciatedSmiley Happy

I have done as suggested and attached the vi.

The problem is the data comes out of the first VISA read and parses correctly and displays, the data also comes out of the second VISA read correctly, but does not come out of the 'Match Regular expression vi' which is supposed to remove the delimited unparsed text.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,021 Views)

Hi Mike,

OK, looks like we're getting somewhere now. It seems like something has gone wrong either with the way the instrument i/o assistant is building its code or one of the functions isn't working as expected in LabVIEW.

I've modified the code slightly so that it displays all the strings its receiving so its easier to see what is being returned where. Can you run this vi for me, and then once its finished set all the controls so that their current values are defaults. You can do this from the Edit menu, by selecting 'Make Current Values Default', can you then save it and post it back on this forum, this way I'll be able to see the strings, and I'll modify the vi so that it works correctly.

Thanks

Hannah
NIUK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,002 Views)

Hi,

Have attached run and defaulted vi.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15