From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network streams security

Im working on a project that will maybe use a network stream to send and recieve data from a labview program on a remote computer, is there any way to secure that connection, like requireing a windows password to be able to get into the IP address?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,729 Views)

It's built on TCP/IP.

What are you really worried about?  There isn't a magic switch that makes your packet invisible.  If it passes on the network, a password on the IP wouldn't be useful (and really would be a strange idea in the first place)  Are you worried someone will access the computer and cause problems?  Are you worried your data will be sniffed and read?  What's your specific security concern?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,713 Views)

were going to be placing the computer off our network and making the IP visible for me to connect to it, all that is being done by my IT department. The IT guy told me that I would need to create some security for something about the IT department pinging it and gaining access to the computer within our network. I think the best way would  be requiring a password to access the IP address in the first place but from what ive played with network streams so far, with computers on the same switch, is that if you put in an IP address in they just connect with no credentials needed.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,706 Views)

he says we regularly scan our network for computers like this and they would shut my project down if they can gain access like that

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,704 Views)

@pathare535 wrote:

The IT guy told me that I would need to create some security for something about the IT department pinging it and gaining access to the computer within our network. I think the best way would  be requiring a password to access the IP address in the first place but from what ive played with network streams so far, with computers on the same switch, is that if you put in an IP address in they just connect with no credentials needed.

@pathare535 wrote:

he says we regularly scan our network for computers like this and they would shut my project down if they can gain access like that

A lot of words in there, and what is being said really doesn't make any sense.

First.  Being able to ping a PC is not the same thing as being able to gain access.  You can actually turn off the feature in the PC that allows it to respond to ping requests, but your PC is still on the network and accessible by other means.

Second,  passwords and accessing the IP address have nothing to do with each other.  An IP address is just what it says.  An address.  Just like the numbers on your house.  It is not the same thing as giving someone the keys to your front door.

Third,  it is possible for an IT department to scan for PC's and see if they belong on a network, or if they have any ports open that indicate there is a security threat.    But just because a port is open, doesn't make it a security threat.  They problably scan for ports that are known issues, and other port numbers for ignored.  Every PC has to have some ports on it open otherwise there is no way to gain access to it for any purpose.  Back to the house analogy, a PC with no ports is the same as a house with no doors.

Offhand, I don't know which ports are used for network streams, or if that is a configurable parameter.  But whatever port is uses, if that is within the range of ports that your IT might be scanning for and would throw up an issue about, they should be able to put that on the exception list so that it doesn't cause a problem.

Finally, network streams don't give some rogue PC unfettered access to your PC.  At most, it allow someone to grab data being streamed out, or submit data to be streamed in.  That in itself is a far cry from someone being able to control your PC.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,683 Views)