LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

national instruments update service has been disabled by your administrator

Hello,

I had the same problem with the use of the Volume Licese Manager (VLM). 
Solution:
In VLM go into Tools»Preferences»General and expanding Miscellaneous Settings.
Set "Disable NI Update Service on all client machines" to "No" (default is yes).
After "save" you have to restart the VLM-Server.

Hope that helps.

Dirk

Message 11 of 19
(2,975 Views)

I too was plagued by this error and we do use a volume license server here. After investigating all the suggested solutions but not being successful, I noticed that, besides our active license server, there was also an old defunct server listed in the license manager. I tried removing/deleting it but got an error message saying that the registry could not be updated or else the defunct server was defined in an environment variable. I checked the system environment variables and did not find it there but it did appear 8 or 10 places in the system registry. I went through the registry, exported every key where it appeared and then deleted that key. After exiting the registry I retried the license manager and the old server still appeared so I rebooted. After the reboot, the defunct server was gone and the update service popped up on its own telling me about available updates.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(2,869 Views)

Hi Warren,

Where were these registry keys located?

Best,

Tannerite
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(2,803 Views)

Where were the keys located? In the registry of course. (where's the rim-shot key on this thing?)

Seriously, you have asked this question WAY too long after I had posted for me to remember or have any leftover crumbs on the system to point to thier location.

What I did was simple enough however. In RegEdit I just used Edit --> Find... --> Find What --> {enter name of defunct server} and with Keys/Values/Data selected, I clicked "Find Next" repeatedly until no more were found.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(2,784 Views)

@Warren_Massey wrote:

Where were the keys located? In the registry of course. (where's the rim-shot key on this thing?)

Seriously, you have asked this question WAY too long after I had posted for me to remember or have any leftover crumbs on the system to point to thier location.

What I did was simple enough however. In RegEdit I just used Edit --> Find... --> Find What --> {enter name of defunct server} and with Keys/Values/Data selected, I clicked "Find Next" repeatedly until no more were found.

For future reference when you solve an issue like this please add the detail in your post stating you solved it. Without the details included it doesn't help anyone who comes across this down the road when they encounter the same issue.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(2,778 Views)

@schmidt-wedding wrote:

Hello,

I had the same problem with the use of the Volume Licese Manager (VLM). 
Solution:
In VLM go into Tools»Preferences»General and expanding Miscellaneous Settings.
Set "Disable NI Update Service on all client machines" to "No" (default is yes).
After "save" you have to restart the VLM-Server.

Hope that helps.

Dirk

Thanks for the tip, this solved our problem at work.  

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(2,771 Views)

We also found an environment variable which causes this "national instruments update service has been disabled by your administrator".

But the administrator (I'm the administrator) has definitely enabled the update service on our NI License Server.

In local NI License Manager we found an inactive License Server "zuken:7770" on top of the list.

In Windows environment variable "LM_LICENSE_FILE" was set to 7770@zuken.

Seems that Zuken CR5000 PCB-Design Software also uses the same type of license manager (Flexlm ?).

Solution for us : Because we also need Zuken (and its enviromental variable) we have to set temporarily "LM_LICENSE_FILE" to nothing before starting the NI Update Service.

Why actual NI Update Service 2.2.5 (and also the older Version 2.0) reacts on this environment variable "LM_LICENSE_FILE" ?

Message 17 of 19
(2,528 Views)

I can confirm this behaviour on the latest LV 2013-SP1

I have another application which uses LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable:

LM_LICENSE_FILE           1234@some.license.server

1. This license server is working.
  2. The license can be checked out by the appropriate user program. So fully legitimate.
  3. In my case, LabVIEW is not setup to use VLM, but serial number.

When this environment variable is present:           NI Update Service fails.

When this environment variable is removed:         NI Update Service works.

1. Why is LabVIEW bothered by a license which is not relevant for LabVIEW?
  2. Why is the error message so cryptic and misleading?
  3. Why has this problem not been fixed? It was reported to support a couple of years ago.

After all, it cannot be uncommon to use such a setup on a PC, so a fix should have some priority I would expect.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(2,069 Views)

See this link : http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A472181901354DA186257ABB006740B9

it is a way to have the update service to work.

You may have to go to the preferences in the options menu and set back your Volume License Server once the update is done.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,717 Views)