LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modelsim and LV 2014

Will LV 2014 and LV FPGA work with Modelsim at all? 

This link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/11AABA0EF96CE476862578550069A45D claims it's not supported, but sometimes things work without official support, so I was curious if anyone has tried it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,230 Views)

I tried to search internally to see if we had mentions of people using Modelsim with LabVIEW 2014 but I wasn't able to find much on our end.  Maybe someone in the forums has tried personally though.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,190 Views)

thanks for the reply.  we've been using ISim for quite some time, but I believe our design has outgrown it, and we're having trouble with it.  We were looking to procure Modelsim, based on the affordability factor (Questa is STEEP), but we do plan to move to 2014 in the next 6 months or so, so we're kinda between a rock and hard place!  I'm really surprised NI has stopped supporting Modelsim, quite a bummer given how expensive Questa is.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,177 Views)
I did get modelsim 10.2c and 10.3 working in cosimulation mode even though labview persisted in claiming the libraries were out of date. I didn't test that to any great extent because NI support did not want to help troubleshoot that config. Being in a very large org, we also have questa so I just moved to that as it used the same two floating licenses as modelsim. In fact I believe questa IS modelsim under the covers for hdl simulation at least. For labview work, only modelsim features are checked out judging from the license tool status.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,073 Views)

We're currently on LV 2012 SP1, so I downloaded a trial of Modelsim 10.4 and it won't work in co-simulation (LV errors out with simulator not supported)... Although it does work to simulate via the VHDL export in stand-alone sim.  LV let me specify where the executable was and recompiled the libraries, but co-sim no likey.

I installed a trial of LV 2014 and LV FPGA 2014 on a separate machine, it doesn't even have an option to select "modelsim" in the tools->options menu, only Questa is there. 

I've convinced our people to poney up for Questa, even though Modelsim is all we would need from an HDL perspective, ... sad day.  I think there's some NI -> Mentor collusion on forcing folks to Questa (Questa is around a 5x $multiple), but maybe that makes me sound like a conspiracy theorest.  Could be as simple as Mentor is getting ready to dump Modelsim, it does seem to be getting moved to the wayside. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,067 Views)
To get modelsim working, I just selected questa and pinted to the modeltech10.2c path. Labview complained that it might not work, but it did.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,036 Views)