LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

miniSystem myVTOL

Hi,

we want to determine the parameters for the PID-Control, but there is no information about the control route. Is there any methods for finding out the right parameters in order that the fan hovers in equilibrium? 

We tried the methods from Ziegler and Nichols but there was no solution for our problem. Can someone help us?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,383 Views)

Tuning the PID controller (using Z-N or any other method) is more about getting dynamic response, rather than for steady state equilibrium. Though if you get the tuning completely wrong it won't go in equilibrium.

I would try:

1. Operating the system in open loop to make sure the control signal acts correctly on the device - i.e. it changes in the way you expect (and the way the controller expects). Not all systems can be operated in closed loop. You need to understand what your loop is controlling - altitude ?  - and how that is measured and feeds into the control loop.

2. Use proportional control only first - again just to make sure it works, adding in the integral action and increasing gains once you are happy the signals and signs in the control loop are correct.

3. I could imagine that a fixed bias signal might be needed to be added to the controller help output to maintain equilbrium.

If you have some specific problems, you'll need to describe things in a lot more detail to get specific help.

Consultant Control Engineer
www-isc-ltd.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,348 Views)

Hi xstefx@gmx.de,

did the information help you or do you need something more ?

Best regards,

Matijas31

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,317 Views)

Hi,

we need more information about the system. We didn't find out how we can determine the parameters of the PID-control. We have any values by testing but there is no good dynamic or performance of the fan.

Can you help us?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,293 Views)

No. You need to find out more about the system - either through tests, or understanding the system components and physics, reading manuals, and how these work together in a feedback control loop. We (i.e. the forum members) can't help you with that - unless somebody out there has exactly the same system and same controllers - we haven't had any kind of description of the system you have, what the control loop is like, and what it is / isn't doing.

I suggest you first check the basics are right and look at the points I made before. You must understand the system you want to control before closing the loop, unless you plan on relying on luck.

Consultant Control Engineer
www-isc-ltd.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,288 Views)